Noob Q regarding the Bark - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Noob Q regarding the Bark

Do SchH dogs only Bark by command and/or during the Bark & Hold?

In the videos I have seen, the dogs are totally quiet at all other times. This seems like a great outcome, as I really hate dogs that bark non stop or for no reason.

Just wondering.

Thanks

BTW - if staying quiet at other times is part of the training, how do you teach a dog not to bark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Crowned Member

I am going through this with one of my dogs right now. Yes they bark during the guarding (and I personally prefer my dogs to bark guarding in the open too, not just in the blind) but should be quiet for the rest of the routine. I've seen dogs do it barking, but a lot of times barking (and more often, whining or screaming) is more about the dog being overloaded and leaking drive rather than actual guarding. One of my dogs is a screamer so we're already working on *not* overstimulating him and making it clear when to bark and when not to bark.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Do you correct for barking when not appropriate or work on praise when it is correctly done? I don't want to inhibit the dog with too many corrections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Crowned Member

Both. It depends on the dog. I don't over correct right now because my dog is young. Also we need to learn how to work him and cap his drive before he overloads and gets crazy. I won't throttle him all the time when it's not really his fault, you know? Right now I do always praise him (calmly) when he is being quiet. If we are working on this specifically, I send him for a bite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page