Shutzhund Helpers...question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Shutzhund Helpers...question

We were supposed to go to our first Shutzhund training on Saturday but it was rained out.

I will now go this coming Saturday but I have a question that may sound silly.

Our local club charges $324.00 for the year. That does not seem like a large amount of money considering the Shutzhund helpers are putting in a lot of time to help folks out.

What is the protocol in regards to the Shutzhund helpers, especially in protection work. Do you tip them at the end of each day? Do you tip them at Christmas?

This is all new to me and I don't want to appear to stupid my first time out, especially since I think Stella will do very well in this type of sport. She has extremely high ball drive and always outruns and outmaneuvers any dog that dare try to go after a thrown ball that she thinks belongs to her.

Any advice about what to expect?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

This really varies greatly from club to club. Some clubs have paid helpers, who charge a set fee per dog/session/month/etc... Some have helpers that "work for tips" but expect fairly large tips per session, so essentially they are paid. Some have helpers who just work dogs because they love to work dogs and help others, and neither receive nor expect any form of compensation (many of whom would be offended if it were offered).

So it would really depends on how the club you are training with is set up. Only way to know is to ask the other members how things work in that specific club.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Crowned Member

You'll probably just have to ask. There is a huge range in costs and how clubs handle money. Some only have dues, some you pay the helper a set amount, some you don't pay a set amount but "tip"....

Coke (All-American 7/7/06)
Nikon (GSD 9/7/08)
Indy (All-American 5/10/12)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
This really varies greatly from club to club. Some clubs have paid helpers, who charge a set fee per dog/session/month/etc... Some have helpers that "work for tips" but expect fairly large tips per session, so essentially they are paid. Some have helpers who just work dogs because they love to work dogs and help others, and neither receive nor expect any form of compensation (many of whom would be offended if it were offered).

So it would really depends on how the club you are training with is set up. Only way to know is to ask the other members how things work in that specific club.
That makes sense. I could not imagine the $324 paid the folks who are out there each week putting in their time and experience.

thanks!

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

It probably doesn't. That's a pretty low amount and probably covers equipment, insurance, and maybe goes towards whatever facilities you guys use (mowing, utilities, etc).

Nikon (GSD 9/7/08)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I will ask the other members how they handle the tipping/fees.

I am so excited to start the Shutzhund training. The weather should start to cool down a bit soon, so it will be great to be outdoors working with my dog.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Dues that low wouldn't pay much to anyone unless the club has a lot of members paying that amount. Most likely it just covers expenses like Lies said, with anything left over commonly put into a fund to be used for seminars, trials, etc...

But a whole lot of clubs operate with no one getting paid or expecting to be paid. They're true clubs with people working together because they enjoy it, not businesses. The only way to know which category your club falls into, and whether or not any of the dues are used to pay members, or if there is an expectation for you to pay certain amounts to certain people above the club dues, would be to ask.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Our yearly dues is low. Our helpers get a partial discount for their work and do not accept money in any form for training dogs on club time. One would never do it at other times either. The people who are out there coaching, teaching and helping the members in other ways also do not get paid. I maintain the grounds and the tracking fields and I am only compensated for the gas for my tractors. I did get to participate in a seminar we had this year for free. There are still a few people out there that do this because they love the sport and training dogs.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella's Mom View Post
I will ask the other members how they handle the tipping/fees.
There may not be any even with low dues, just depends. My SDA dues were $135 and I can work 2-3 dogs, training is twice a week, and we don't give the decoys anything (plus they bring the equipment they already have and set it up). Plus they used club money to register the new dogs with the SDA organization so I didn't have to pay for Pan's registration ($25/dog). Not bad! The nice thing is that we have an awesome park we can train/trial at with permission from the township and don't have to pay them anything, they already maintain it.

Nikon (GSD 9/7/08)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
There may not be any even with low dues, just depends. My SDA dues were $135 and I can work 2-3 dogs, training is twice a week, and we don't give the decoys anything (plus they bring the equipment they already have and set it up). Plus they used club money to register the new dogs with the SDA organization so I didn't have to pay for Pan's registration ($25/dog). Not bad! The nice thing is that we have an awesome park we can train/trial at with permission from the township and don't have to pay them anything, they already maintain it.
This club has annual family fees of $324.00 and $90.00 for the 90 day probationary period. They train 3x a week, Obedience, Scent, Protection.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page