Transition from Food Lure to the Ball - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Transition from Food Lure to the Ball

Success!!!

We went through an awkward 3ish week phase where Kastle didn't want to lure for the food anymore but wasn't ready to work for the ball. It really bummed me out as obedience training was so fun for us. But, looks like he is ready for the ball work. Woo-hoo!!!

He's still swinging a little wide but I'm doing right circles to collect him into me and then doing a handful of straight steps and rewarding when he is in position. So far, I'm pleased. This was our very first session working with the ball in obedience for heeling. This is also the first dog I've trained with the ball so it's taking a little practice for me to get the hang of it. I trained my last dog with a tug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

Your pup is coming along really nice.

Have you ever thought about doing left circles to collect the dog? If you do left circles the dog will take some of the energy that he is using to go forward and put it to his rear end. This will make the heeling more animated and flashy. It also tend to head off forging problems. But don't teach the dog too well, some GSD organizations have directed their judges to penalize that.

I also think you are too advanced for the coordination and structure of your puppy. I would suggest that you take your time and slow things down a bit. It looks like you're having too much fun to heed that though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Crowned Member

Regardless of whether you train Sch or anything else, you could buy a dog from me any day.....love your work with your dog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Master Member

I agree you are doing great work! Love that obedience!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Elite Member

Kastle's little face just kills me!!! Love it. Watching your video makes me remember/realize that I still have oh so very much to learn when it comes to working with the dogs. *sigh*.

Megan

Amadeus 1/13/2003-10/20/2010 RIP
Glock 1/25/2011
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Wow everyone! Thanks for the kind words

@Fast - I know I am going rather fast, I can only do this sort of work when he's relatively tired. It's just so much fun I can't resist! He isn't coordinated enough to do the left turns on his own (without a hand lure leading him) yet. I dislike forging as well so I'm only rewarding when I can walk freely. What do you mean about don't teach him too well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Regardless of whether you train Sch or anything else, you could buy a dog from me any day.....love your work with your dog!
This pretty much made my day - thanks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
What do you mean about don't teach him too well?
Both the SV and USCA have directed their judges to penalize head up, animated heeling. The rational is that it's "unnatural" for a GSD to heel like that. I can understand and agree with them not penalizing a dog because it isn't animated. But to penalize people for the time and effort of training animation dosen't make a lick of sense.

Think about something like retrieves. No dogs have natural retrieves like we see from top sport dogs. Should we penalize that too?

I think there may be a bit of "if you can't beat'em on the field, change the rules"

Last edited by Fast; 10-10-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page