I would like some advice from those who have perfected this.. lol.
Stark and I have had a handful of perfect drop on recalls, but not enough for me to say that he has "got it" down.
What I do is have him down/sit/stand in one spot, walk out a distance and then have him "heir", when he gets about 20 ft away or so, I tell him to "platz" and what he does is stop and stand there - perfect for stand on recall - not so perfect for drop/sit on recall... LOL.
I have tried a few things:
1. Do an out of motion drop; so heel him, platz him and then continue on and then have him heir into a front
- He did this fine but when I transferred to a drop on recall, same thing happened (he stood there)
2. Do some play/fun exercises where I shimmy back and have him platz for his reward every few times, making the distance between us further and further each time
- I get flashy downs but when I move a good distance away, he does the same thing (stood there)
3. I tried something different today with a friend and had him reinforce the platz command with a leash (no command from him, only me).
- When I tried this, as soon as my friend was close to Stark, he dropped automatically like he knew he was suppose too
Just wondering how everyone else trains this? I am working with a new trainer and so I hope to get some good answers/insights into this. Stark is still kinda blowing me off and we have not done any OB in awhile and I am just starting back up with him.