Microchip vs Tattoo - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Microchip vs Tattoo

Going for a BH this weekend and was told I needed a microchip or tattoo. Got a Microchip only to find out that I have to supply a reader. Instead of buying a reader I am going to get a tattoo kit and tattoo him. A reader is $250 and a tatto kit is around $100 but the big difference is that chips shift or die and will cause you to DQ before you walk on the field. I bought Leerburgs tattoo instructional on demand and have watched the breed warden tattoo pups at the club so I will give it a shot. I would like to see a couple good and bad ear tattoos if you wouldent mind posting pics. This will give me a better idea of placement and ink color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Crowned Member

My first thought is if your BH is this weekend, your dog's ear will still be solid green so how will the tattoo be read? The tattoo is done by clamping and then rubbing the ink into the ear. You are supposed to let it set and just let it wash away and fade on its own, generally takes 2-3 weeks. Also I've heard that people don't tattoo dogs older than a few months because you risk damaging the ear cartilage. Not sure about that but I've never seen a dog getting a tattoo older than 3 months other than a pen tattoo on the thigh or belly.

Have you contacted the host club and asked if they have a reader for the trial?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Crowned Member

As for examples my Nikon has a really nice tattoo, very readable, 5 digits. He was tattoo'd pretty late (since the breeder didn't do it I found someone else), around 14 weeks I think.

As he got older and his head grew the tattoo is not as centered but still very easily readable within a few feet.

On the other hand my Pan was tattooed at 7 weeks by the breeder and his is barely readable. You can't even tell he has one without looking for it. I showed him on Sat. and had someone bring a chip reader just in case but the judge was able to make out the last three digits of the tat and said that was OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Crowned Member

If you use a European-type microchip, you can find cheaper scanners. However, if your dog gets lost in the US, that chip is useless.
Pet Microchip Scanners Datamars Micromax - Pet Travel Store

Here is some more info on tattoos.
http://shepherdcentral.com/viewtopic...bde1a25839ec76

I'm interested because I will need to do something with Boaz.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Personally, I wouldn't recommend someone who's never done it before doing a last minute DIY tattoo on an adult dog a week before trial.

Contact the club hosting the trial. With chips becoming more and more prevalent, more and more clubs are providing readers for trial. So they may have one to use. Other options are to borrow/rent one from someone in your training group, local breeder, rescue, your vet, etc....

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Crowned Member

OP do you have a scorebook? Don't you need to provide the tattoo/microchip certification in order to obtain the scorebook for trial? If you have obtained your scorebook using the microchip then that is probably what the judge is going to want to use as verification.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Banned

See if you can borrow a reader. If I was closer I'd let you use ours. It's an AVID scanner. What brand is your chip?
**Actually I do have one I could let you use, if you paid S&H for both ways? It's an AKC one and I don't care for it, but it works, if I know what brand your chip is. This is what the AKC one looks like - you have to have the center of the circle directly over the chip for it to work but if you know where the chip is you can get it the 1st time. It even tells you the type chip it is instead of just showing the chip #.

http://www.lostmypet.com/L00011.html

Last edited by msvette2u; 10-03-2011 at 10:39 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Its an AVID chip. Neither the host club or my club have a scanner. Ive spoke to a couple vets in the area and there is an auction this weekend and their scanners are needed for horses.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Crowned Member

You may be able to borrow one from a shelter or rescue(with a hefty deposit)....I agree with Chris, I'd never attempt to tat my dog, especially shortly before a trial. Your scorebook info won't include the tat # anyway.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Your scorebook info won't include the tat # anyway.
Exactly. This is kind of a moot point so close to trial. If your dog is not tattood yet there's no way the tat number is going to be on the scorebook so you're going to have to find a way to use the chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page