Unusual question on SchH - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Unusual question on SchH

Apologize for my silly questions, and appreciate any inputs given.

1. For protection phase of SchH, owner/handler role seems less important compare to decoy role. In case of no decoy, can a dog's owner/handler taking role as a decoy to train his own dog?

2. Do dogs really hate the decoy? I mean do they will take any chance to give the decoy a real bad bite, or they just want some grips on the sleeve only?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 AM

No, you dont want to do that beyond a little grip work.

They should not view the decoy/"helper" (have to watch our terminology) as a friend but many trial dogs are more than likely just working another phase of obedience rather than protections so.....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Crowned Member

1. Most people do not have the experience to do grip work without causing conflict and confusion in their dogs - and developing incorrect behaviors/grips as a result - there are some very experienced, knowledgeable people who ARE able to do this, but very few! I believe Vandal and Cliff have both made statements about this.

2. Depends on the dog and the decoy....proper behavior and nerves will allow the dog to react appropriately to the decoy as a threat or as a neutral person in a social environment.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Crowned Member

Just speaking from my own very limited experience...

1. No I would never do any sort of bitework or protection work decoying my own dogs, even if I did have the experience. The only things I do are some flirtpole for fun/exercise and some targeting (we do some bitesuit protection where I want the dogs biting certain parts of the body).

2. Depends on the dog and the training but I prefer dogs that react appropriately to the level of presence and threat and that is how we train. My dogs are neutral to the decoy when there is no threat. For example when we track our helper/decoy practices being a judge and walks right up on my dog while he's tracking and the dog doesn't care one bit. I don't let the helpers/decoys try to be-friend my dog other than playing with them as puppies.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
1. Most people do not have the experience to do grip work without causing conflict and confusion in their dogs - and developing incorrect behaviors/grips as a result - there are some very experienced, knowledgeable people who ARE able to do this, but very few! I believe Vandal and Cliff have both made statements about this.

2. Depends on the dog and the decoy....proper behavior and nerves will allow the dog to react appropriately to the decoy as a threat or as a neutral person in a social environment.

Lee
I was in the middle of writing a response when I realized I was writing the same thing...best not to try and remake an already great response!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd_newbie View Post

2. Do dogs really hate the decoy? I mean do they will take any chance to give the decoy a real bad bite, or they just want some grips on the sleeve only?
I suppose it depends on the dog, but in my experience, most dogs don't "hate" the helper. Some dogs seem to see the helper as a giant toy, if they are working in prey. When I was training Luka, she would attack, run around in a circle with the sleeve, the run back to the helper and hit him with it as if to say "Put it back on so I can bite you again!"

She also allowed the helper to pet her when not on the field.

Some dogs want to dominate the helper, but that's not the same thing as "hate".
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all, for quick and valuable responses. I guess I am left behind since I could not find anyone who can help being a decoy in my area for now. Too bad for my dog, and for myself as well, SchH is definitely something we are looking forward to learn and to try. Maybe later!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

You can still track and do obedience, if the dog has 'it' the protection will come naturally. Get a group together for support and maybe a helper will find you...where are you located?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Of course I will keep continuous practicing the Tracking and Obedience, otherwise it would be super boring for both of us. I will keep my eyes open for an opportunity forming a group, hopefully there will be someone who got talent in decoy skills. I am in a country which you might consider as a jungle, it is Vietnam.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

ahh, you do have limited options then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page