I went to my 1st SchH event and was left highly dissappointed. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

I went to my 1st SchH event and was left highly dissappointed.

I drove out to Cocoa Beach on Fri for trails since I knew someone competing and wanted to be there for support. He was looking to title in his SchH III. Anyhow, the weather was crappy and caused a 2.5 hr rain delay. BH was 1st and there were 3 dogs. then SchH1 and the III since there were no II's. Anyhow, after each set the judge and apprentice talked for 15 min before giving the scores. It was truely obnoxious. I left at 11:30pm and thy had only finished all the OB. They were going to start the BH distraction portion and then protection. I guess my aquaintance didnt leave until 2am...

Having trials last so long, doesnt that effect the dog? My friend scored very well, but not as well as expected. I just didnt understand a 15 min chat with the apprentice after each set...sometimes longer then 15 min.

Aspen, CGC
DOB: 7-24-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Yes, SchH trials are usually pretty long. Though I'd have to imagine that if they didn't get finished with OB until close to midnight, this must have been a night trial. We tend to have daytime trials here in MI, but to start at dawn and not be finished until close to dinner time isn't unusual. Yes, it's a long day for the dogs but really that's part of the point of a 3 phase sport testing if the dogs can work not just in terms of doing vastly different things on the same day, but in being able to handle a long day with a lot of pressure throughout that day.

As far as all the talking, well I guess I look at it this way. An apprentice judge is one day likely going to become a real judge. And I'd much rather have that person well educated before that happens than have them just go out and start judging dogs. So if the presiding judge is spending time talking with the apprentice, presumably educating that person, on each dog, comparing notes and scores to make sure the apprentice didn't miss anything and gets good training from his mentor, then I'm perfectly fine with that. That's the whole point of an apprentice program. If it were really 15 minutes, that's probably excessive. I've trialed where there have been apprentice judges and it always takes longer while they discuss things, and that's never bothered me. Never taken 15 minutes, but maybe this mentor was being really thorough, or the apprentice had a lot of questions. Either way, I don't see how making sure the next generation of judges is well taught is a bad thing and if that means a little inconvenience to people now, so be it. Anyone who's trialing under that judge in the future will no doubt appreciate that someone took the time to teach them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Crowned Member

Shutzhund isn't really a good spectator sport. It's like a college film festival: You go and sit through it because your friend has an entry or because you want to learn about dogs/filmmaking, but it's not something you'd just go pay money to see and be entertained.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM

Last edited by Emoore; 09-11-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
The purpose of a trial is to evaluate and train the next generation of dogs, handlers, and judges, not to be entertaining to spectators.
True that! For spectators, the best thing to do is purchase a video of the trial, with the boring parts edited out.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Crowned Member

I edited my original post. I thought it sounded snarky. I'm on an endless quest to sound less snarky on internet forums.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

As someone who has sat through long 3 days National events , 12 hour training days and a 4 day world event, I don't find SchH boring. Of course when I showed horses I used to drive 1.5 hours back and forth each day for 3-4 days to watch an event.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

I knew it could be boring, but the debriefs were much longer then the actual dog activity. Even people who have competed said it was extremely excessive. We broke out the stop watch on 2 fairly clean runs and they took 15 min. The problem runs, the judges talked for 20+ min, meanwhile causing the competing dags to lay in the wet grass that had red ants b/c it rained so much. The judge was good and observes a lot, but knowing the event was already delayed 2.5 hours, I would think the apprentice would do more observation, since there were 2 more days of trials still to come and learn from.

Aspen, CGC
DOB: 7-24-10
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinGirl View Post
I knew it could be boring, but the debriefs were much longer then the actual dog activity. Even people who have competed said it was extremely excessive. We broke out the stop watch on 2 fairly clean runs and they took 15 min. The problem runs, the judges talked for 20+ min, meanwhile causing the competing dags to lay in the wet grass that had red ants b/c it rained so much. The judge was good and observes a lot, but knowing the event was already delayed 2.5 hours, I would think the apprentice would do more observation, since there were 2 more days of trials still to come and learn from.
I was hoping that Chris and Lisa's excellent posts would get through to you, but you obviously need things explained to you in an explicit manner. So here we go...

** comments removed by Admin**

Finally, please do yourself a favor and the next time you go to a trial. Sit down and be quiet. Watch the trial. Then ask questions to those involved. Ask the apprentice about the processes to become a judge. Talk to the judge about your concerns about the ants. Ask other spectators about dogs. But let go of the way you think things should be, and try to figure out why things are the way that they are. ***** comments removed by Admin**

Have a nice day.

Last edited by lhczth; 09-13-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: find less rude ways to make your point.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Crowned Member

Really Fast, could you have explained it any sweeter?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

It's amazing how much you can learn from LISTENING to what people have to say. If you know nothing about SchH, there is very little you will discern from watching. It is the conversation about the performance (in training and trial) that will enhance your knowledge.

It might make some good "ooohing and awwiiing" to watch a long bite, but unless you know what just happening it's nothing more than that.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page