keeping dogs apart? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

keeping dogs apart?

Had a question for anyone who trains in Schutzhund and or has multiple dogs. Do you allow your dogs to be together? In their kennel or the yard? Or to play with other dogs? Talked to some people in a schutzhund club and reading online it seems like a lot of people don't really allow their adult dogs to socialize. Due to wanting them to bond with only them or afraid of fights. Not sure if i misunderstood or if this is a common practice when training in schutzhund.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Crowned Member

I hope it's ok for me to answer because I don't train in SchH but I do have multiple dogs. Yes, I allow them to be together, pretty much all the time. They get along great and having another pack member helps my nervy dog stay relaxed.

That said I don't really "socialize" my dogs with many other dogs. We go to classes where there are other dogs and they learn to behave around other dogs, but we don't do the dog park thing where it's a canine free-for-all. I want my dogs to get their fun and fulfillment from working with me and being with me, not from beating up on smaller dogs at the dog park.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Crowned Member

I only have three; they do get to run together at times during the day. We go to training and puppy socialization classes to socialize with other dogs, but not to dog parks. I play, walk, and train my dogs separately. I do not kennel them together, but will leave them together in the back yard to frolic while I'm at home. They are kept separate when I'm not at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to VomBlack
My dogs are out in the house together when i'm home, Shade gets crated when i'm gone and most nights (sometimes i'll close her in my room with me). I'll play with them both together at times, but they also they their own separate play and train times.

I also work full-time at a kennel/training facility and my dogs can come to work with me, we have pack playgroups so i'll also let them have supervized playtime with other dogs as long as everyone is happy and behaving and not stressed. All the dogs are sorted by temperament (if they're allowed to be grouped). Odin is very social with other dogs and very patient, and has been in groups as large as 16 with no issues. Shade goes for the socialization, so i'll usually bring her with me when I do the smaller and quiet dogs and she more or less just plays around them. Would I recommend it for everyone? No probably not, but i'm fortunate enough to be the one outside working with them.

Other than that I don't really go out of my way to make sure my dogs have "doggie friends", but at this time it's convenient that they are so good at work with me and can play and wear themselves down a bit.

Kelli Black &
Bianka "Shade" v. Littlehaus (2/2/11)
Wodanaz "Odin" BH, CD, RE, TT, CGC, TDI, OFA H/E (2/13/09)

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty."
- Captain Max von Stephanitz
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 11:26 AM

There was a thread on this topic yesterday. My GSD is working in a home with 3 non-working dogs. They are all 4 together all the time, inside and out, sleeping or awake.

I've never had one of our trainers say anything and the personal protection trainer often comes here to the house so knows we have several. Works just fine as far as I know.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

I may be in the minority, but yes I allow all my dogs to be together (two of them are Schutzhund dogs). I don't allow them together when I'm not around, so the youngest is crated, one has the basement and kitchen, and another (not SchH dog) has the living area and bedrooms. We've never had a dog fight but you never know, and they tend to be more mischievous as a pack.

My husband sometimes takes the non-SchH dog to the dog park but my SchH dogs don't really interact with other dogs. They don't really care about it either way.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Crowned Member

I only train one of my three in SchH. He is allowed to be with the other dogs(both spayed females). I don't crate them when I'm away, they have free roam of the house.
They are use to crates however and I do use them when needed.

The dog I train in Sch may be a bit more excited to train if I put him in his crate for a few hours a day...he might be getting too much freedom.
After we do a training session(at home), I crate him in the vehicle for a bit to process the lesson.
I let him have certain toys freely, and he would rather interact with me than the other dogs.
As far as other dogs beside our pack, he's not reactive whatsoever, and really could care less about interaction.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 09-11-2011 at 05:38 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Crowned Member

Minority here also.....dogs are always crated/kenneled (except for the house dog) when we are away.
Dogs interact with each other only when we are supervising. Never have multiple males together...unless they are young or puppies.
Absolutely never go to dog parks, or have our "personal" dogs "playing" with outside dogs.
Because our dogs perform in Conformation Shows also...they must be reliable and social to & around other dogs (dog aggression is not acceptable)...but are not required to accept outside dogs as "buddies".
Again...this is how we live our lives and maintain our dogs.....not meaning to "preach" to anyone on how their lifestyle should be.

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I hope it's ok for me to answer because I don't train in SchH but I do have multiple dogs. Yes, I allow them to be together, pretty much all the time. They get along great and having another pack member helps my nervy dog stay relaxed.
I will say that if I ever get the slightest hint or inkling that there might be trouble brewing between Rocky and Kopper, they'll be separated for the rest of Rocky's life. Rocky and Cash got along famously; Cash was always very submissive toward Rocky. I'm hoping things will continue that way with Kopper.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have groups, but, yes, my dogs interact. I allow play when the puppies are young with other puppies, but not other adult dos. Exception is Vala's one 3 yr old son, Varick. Both she and Elena can hang out with him.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page