Training yesterday.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Talking Training yesterday....

So today was the first day of biting the sleeve with Gabor, the first bite was solid, great. The second and third, not so much. This video is of the second bite. Were not keeping him on the sleeve, not gonna push it.

Bite two, not good enough. He is going for the AD and Breed Survey in November. On the way to getting his titles and it's so exciting!! It's a long road, but a fun road none the less.

Killian, dog on right, of course!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Oh yea, I am taking Killian all the way to his ScHh III, so now matter how long it takes to lay the groundwork down, I'm fine with that!! Can't rush perfection!!
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Crowned Member

Have you ever held the line instead of his being back-tied? Where are you during this?
He may have more in him with you in the picture, praising him.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I am behind the camera, I come to praise him when I'm called in. I stand just five feet off against the tree line. When he calls me in I go over and get under him.... I go in for the "out" too.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Crowned Member

Why is he still backtied? Just asking, I know we do it now and then but usually the handler is still with the dog(unless the dog is so handler sensitive that it won't focus on the helper)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Why is he still backtied? Just asking, I know we do it now and then but usually the handler is still with the dog(unless the dog is so handler sensitive that it won't focus on the helper)
I don't have that answer..... Hmmm..... LOL! I don't have the ability to hold him really well, and he takes me off my feet... Maybe that has something to do with it? I'm not 100% sure, but if Sue sees this thread I'm sure she can explain why..... The ONE question you ask and I don't know the answer too, go figure! I know almost everything else!! Haha!!!
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Crowned Member

Dog is not handler sensitive at all.

If the dog is backtied - he has to deal with everything on his own. No backup. No owner behind him creating a safety net.

post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks Sue!!!!
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Crowned Member

Thanks for the reply Sue.
I've seen a couple dogs(mals/dutchies) that are very handler sensitive so are backtied to learn to work independently.

Killian looks confident in the video, regardless. I was just curious as to why Victoria wasn't with him.... For a young dog, I would think a bit of handler praise and encouragement would be positive re-enforcement, not so much as a safety net, more as a confidence builder.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Crowned Member

Killian was fine and no issue with the helper or me walking by a few times right next to him, when he was engaged on the sleeve.
Gabor adjusts training, based on what is needed. Too many times, people (general term) result to building that safety net, so you do not see how the dog really is. Victoria would step in for the praise, etc based on what was being done.

I did this in CA and when in Europe as well. When I moved here, everyone was just doing the holding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page