Schutzhund - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Schutzhund

I figure that puppies are too young to start schutzhund training.

But for noobs like me to know, when does schutzhund training typically begin? i should say...how early does one start training their dog for the bhh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:21 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Start now. Join a club. What you will be learning is how to imprint behaviours you want, developing engagement and focus, allowing the pups to develop their drives and build self-confidence. Good socializing opportunities.

Work hard at it, and your pups should be ready for their BH at around two years of age. Have you contacted a club yet?

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Elite Member

You should already be in a club when you have a puppy. But you start the fundamentals as soon as you get one. Being quiet in a crate is just one lesson that is important. You build drives by playing certain 'games' with your pup. You teach them their name and to look at you. Lots that a pup can learn. The BH is basically a temperament test of sorts. Socializing at a club with other people and other dogs, gets ready for a BH. Think about the actual test and what you have to do, walking through a crowd (socialization).

You should belong to a club that knows the break down of each exercise and how you get prepared for it.

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

Like others have said, join now!

I started one of my dogs at about a year old and the other was started basically since the day she was able to walk... lol.

With Stark (the one who was started at about a year) is still not ready for his BH. We have a lot of "fixing" to do in regards to obedience/focus/engagement. A club is able to give you guidance and see things that you can't while working your dog.

Little Zefra has been started at the club and at 4.5 months old, is already further along it seems in certain aspects. We do a lot of focus/engagement work with her, work on her hold (nice full, calm grips) and really get her excited about working! Not that she needs much encouragement.. lol.

Definitely get with a good club now! Have fun!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Start looking at clubs. I see you are in CA, but what part? CA is split into a couple of regions.

You can start imprinting puppies in OB and tracking at 8 weeks (I started my current pup, from my own litter, at 6 weeks). I don't do much with my pups in protection/rag work until they are older. Maybe some rag work a couple of times, but that is about it. That is just me. I am working a 3 month old pup right now. She visits a little, is doing short tracks with 1 corner, has started heeling, is doing fronts, restrained recalls, sit, down, stand, some shaping work and focus in both the front and basic positions. I also play ball with her at other times and she hangs out with some of my big dogs, is in a KPT class and does a little intro to agility. They are like sponges at this age.

But, find a good club to help guide you.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Elite Member

We start ours as soon as we get them. At a young age they are getting used to the activity, the sounds, the people, etc. We let them play chase the rag if they seem interested, but not a big deal. We start working in the obedience from the get go. Mostly they just get out on the field with the big dogs and maybe do sits or downs for a cookie. It's mostly just to get them enjoying the experience. Tracking is great for puppies, we love tracking the new babies. Just short little fun tracks.
We don't do any pulling on the tug or rag when they are dropping teeth, but as soon as grown up teeth are in they can start, depending on the maturity level, of course.

Annette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page