Bark and hold... or just the hold for my dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Bark and hold... or just the hold for my dog

So his bark and hold was going great... he doesn't get dirty, settles right in, but recently started not barking, just silently snapping his jaws. We thought he was getting too winded or hot (has gotten pretty warm the past month), but this past week I started testing it while he was fresh, not heated up, and with plenty of energy with his ball... same thing... Now, given the command to bark, he does the silent snappy jaws... he used to bark consistently. I believe, in teaching him to not bark while in my car at the dogs doing bitework on training days, I've somehow taught him to just not bark at all and he picked up this silent snappy jaw thing... so we're working again on getting consistent barks on the bark command, and hopefully this will translate back onto the bark and hold. Anyone ever experience this or have any "magic tricks" for correcting it?

I'll upload a video of this if its of any help

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Crowned Member

Wish I could help, but I've only had the "other" problem with too much barking. Good luck. I'm sure someone here will have some help for you.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Would be interesting to see the video. My first thought is that he is in the wrong drive, the wrong frame of mind.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Crowned Member

My dog loses his bark as soon as he starts getting too warm.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Master Member

Is he getting a bite for snapping his jaws? If so the snap is being rewarded. Get him out fresh and wait him out. Give him the sleeve on the first bark, and start reinforcing that only. I've not had that problem but seen it and after a couple sessions it was fixed.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Crowned Member

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Knighted Member

I saw a dog doing that at training the other week. All you could hear was the teeth hitting each other. Sounded like he had an iron jaw! :-/ CREEPY! LOL!
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Is he getting a bite for snapping his jaws? If so the snap is being rewarded. Get him out fresh and wait him out. Give him the sleeve on the first bark, and start reinforcing that only. I've not had that problem but seen it and after a couple sessions it was fixed.
Nah if he starts doing it, we'll grind it out for 5 minutes or so, give a bite on the first bark, and put him up on that

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Would be interesting to see the video. My first thought is that he is in the wrong drive, the wrong frame of mind.
Well the video is me testing him... Pure prey drive and totally not the level of intensity of bitework. He gets somewhat defensive in bitework

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

We would need a video of him working on a helper, not barking at you for a toy.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page