Dave Kroyer Seminar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Dave Kroyer Seminar

I have the opportunity to go to a Dave Kroyer seminar. Wolf and I are very new to the sport, but we have been working with a club towards our BH. I have never attended a dog training seminar before. I have however attended horse seminars, never taking my horse and never being overly impressed.

I was wondering if it is a good idea to take Wolf or just audit this seminar. My understanding is that each team will be allowed a 30 min. one on one with Dave. The first day is obedience and the second day will be protection.We are supposed to submit questions for him via e-mail prior to the event. I don't even know what to ask since we are such novices. It is going to be $25/day without dog or $75/day with your dog. I have no idea how many dogs will be there.

Thoughts, opinions, advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 AM

I remember when recently they had a seminar nearby for Bernhard Flinks. I talked with club members and they encouraged me to go but since it would be first to go without dog for I would get more out of it that way. I could not make the time so I kick myself now.

What I was told by someone who did go is he was looking more for working on problem dogs and coming up with creative solutions for them. So if you don't have a major problem with your dog might not get as much out of taking the dog.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szariksdad View Post
I remember when recently they had a seminar nearby for Bernhard Flinks. I talked with club members and they encouraged me to go but since it would be first to go without dog for I would get more out of it that way. I could not make the time so I kick myself now.

What I was told by someone who did go is he was looking more for working on problem dogs and coming up with creative solutions for them. So if you don't have a major problem with your dog might not get as much out of taking the dog.
No major problems, just a bumbling novice and her dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Crowned Member

People always say you should just audit -but I think that would be boring so I have always taken my dog-if you go post back and tell us about it
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Banned

I would advise you leave your dog at home. I say this for the following reasons.

You don't know the seminar giver or how he trains. He might be completely incompetent.

Unless you have the ability to set up your own training program and goals, you might end up setting back your training.

If your training group and director do not agree with the training you do at the seminar you may alienate them. When you have been busting your hump helping someone a couple of times a week, for years, the last thing in the world you need is to have them come back to tell you how Mr. Seminar said this and that after seeing your dog for only 30 minutes.
People often feel pressured into doing things in a seminar that they know is wrong for their dog.

Seminar givers often feel pressured to show quick results. That might be good for the "Wow Factor" at the seminar, but not so good for your dog's training program

Mind you these are general advisements about all seminars. Personally I think Dave is a really good trainer and has a lot to teach. And the most important thing to do at a seminar is to look at the big picture. Training your dog with someone for 30 minutes will yield limited results. But if you can learn a few big concepts, you can add them into your current training, with the consultation of the folks you work with on the regular basis.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
People always say you should just audit -but I think that would be boring so I have always taken my dog-if you go post back and tell us about it
The most "exciting" moments I have ever had in dogsport have been watching people COMPLETELY destroy their dogs at seminars. And good training is always boring anyway.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast View Post
I would advise you leave your dog at home. I say this for the following reasons.
**You don't know the seminar giver or how he trains. He might be completely incompetent.*

Unless you have the ability to set up your own training program and goals, you might end up setting back your training.

If your training group and director do not agree with the training you do at the seminar you may alienate them. When you have been busting your hump helping someone a couple of times a week, for years, the last thing in the world you need is to have them come back to tell you how Mr. Seminar said this and that after seeing your dog for only 30 minutes.*
**People often feel pressured into doing things in a seminar that they know is wrong for their dog.

Seminar givers often feel pressured to show quick results. That might be good for the "Wow Factor" at the seminar, but not so good for your dog's training program*

Mind you these are general advisements about all seminars. Personally I think Dave is a really good trainer and has a lot to teach. And the most important thing to do at a seminar is to look at the big picture. Training your dog with someone for 30 minutes will yield limited results. *But if you can learn a few big concepts, you can add them into your current training, with the consultation of the folks you work with on the regular basis.
:thumbsup:

I have a working spot in the Raiser seminar and I didn't sign up simply because of who he is. The reason I signed up is I have spent many, many, MANY hours training with someone who has himself spent many hours training with Raiser. I already know what to expect from Raiser's methods. If it weren't for this familiarity I would not have signed up even if Raiser himself called me and begged me to. Though from around the country, I know about half the people signed up for working spots in this seminar and I know them through the previously mentioned trainer. I'm betting a good majority of them would not have signed up for working spots if they too didn't have some sort of link to Raiser.*

The Raiser seminar is a special circumstance. Other than that the only working spots I sign up for are those with trainers I've seen train. I have more fingers on one hand than the number of seminar givers I would take a working spot with. I'll spectate, always, but no way in **** are they touching my dog.*

I learn more by watching, anyways.*

*There may be random asterisks. No idea where they come from but it happens when I post from my phone. I'm not trying to emphasize anything.*

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast View Post
The most "exciting" moments I have ever had in dogsport have been watching people COMPLETELY destroy their dogs at seminars. And good training is always boring anyway.

Thanks ever so much for the big letters but I can read-could you please type slower next time--and I am sure training would be very boring if I trained with you-but thankfully I don't-at least I don't think I do
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Banned

The emphasis was their to emphasis how badly the dogs came through the experience. If it hurt your feeling, I apologize for that.

And if you ever worked with me you would know it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:46 PM

Yes, go and take your dog!

Dave has been working with Josh on tracking since he was 16 weeks old. His credentials are amazing and he's a nice guy. We first brought Josh to be evaluated by him when he was 11 weeks old, he told us to work on developing his drives because he had some good signs but was way too young to evaluate. Josh is 8 mo now, he still has great food drive but now he has awesome prey drive and toy drive as well. We had some setbacks,
Josh got neutered, he was cryptorchid so it took him a little while to recover, we were just about to get back into it when Josh came down with pano, and my husband broke his toe. As soon as Josh and the hubby recover they'll be going back to Dave.

Judy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Josh (GSD)- 8/10/10
Daisy (ragdoll cat) 10 yrs old
Romeo (ragdoll cat) 9 yrs old
Caspurr (ragdoll/snowshoe mix) 8 yrs old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page