Schutzhund Evaluation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Schutzhund Evaluation

I keep reading that people should visit a local club and have their dogs evaluated. (for Schutzhund) Can anyone describe what actually takes place when this is done? (or better yet, have a video) Is there a certain age that most people have this done at? Is it done in one visit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:12 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
I keep reading that people should visit a local club and have their dogs evaluated. (for Schutzhund) Can anyone describe what actually takes place when this is done? (or better yet, have a video) Is there a certain age that most people have this done at? Is it done in one visit?

I took Madix to the club I was interested in. I missed tracking because I work third shift so I'm not sure if they would've checked him for that or not. I watched them work their dogs in obedience and then I brought Madix out and kind of showed what I did with him (which was VERY loose obedience). I put him in a long down and saw how he reacted to a stranger (the TD) coming up to him with me away. The TD played with him for a bit and also did a little bit of obedience with him. I put him back up while the rest of the dogs worked in protection. Afterwards, I got him back out again to see how he felt about it. The TD did some approaches and made some "threatening" noises but was overall pretty low-key. Madix barked naturally and eventually went for the bite when he made sure I was ok with it. Did a couple of times of that, he showed that he was willing and able - and (more importantly for me) enjoyed it as well. We were hooked and I've been going back ever since.

Madix is 1.5 yrs old and been exposed to various classes (agility, rally, flyball) and circumstances so what we did with him didn't really scare him at all. There was a Rott pup at training this weekend, 6 months, and his drive was checked with a sock on a string - does he chase it, grab it, tug it etc while "scary" noises are made and some threatening posturing etc. He did bite a puppy sleeve at the end I think.

I don't have video but Lies took some pics of Madix's eval: Flickr: Archive of Liesje_Shepherd_Dog's photostream: Taken on 3rd October 2010 He was also started on a puppy sleeve but he crunched the TD's hand and he had a hard time getting it off so he switched to a "real" sleeve - didn't seem to affect Madix at all. However, I had done some previous training on "hit it" and holding something up between my hands (a jute tug) for him to hit and tug on so he grasped he was supposed to hit the sleeve right away.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:47 AM
Master Member

When I was looking into a local Schutzhund group they looked at several different things. Although they didn't test my dog as much because they felt he wasn't showing his true colors.(which was true)
First off they greeted him, then they had me do some obedience with him, heeling, sit, stay, lay, etc. Then the trainer took the leash and walked him around a bit, he kicked the gravel dirt(away from Dakota's direction so not to hit him) and saw how he reacted. When Dakota sniffed his boot to check it out he praised him.
Then they got out a toy on a rope and put it around him. He ignored it a bit, because he was stressed. (at home Toy = most important and he will play for hours)
They wanted him to "fight" for the toy. Or in other words want the toy more than anything else.

I hope this helps, I didn't much more into this club for several not related reasons, but this is what they did at the evaluation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

What we do is have the person bring the dog out around the members. We want to see how he/she is in the strange environment and around people. Then we have the handler play with the dog. After that we will usually do a little rag work to see if the dog is interested and maybe some suspicion work to see how the dog responds. We also will test sound sensitivity while the handler plays with the dog. We also interact with the handler to make sure they have a good understanding of the time commitment SchH involves and the rules of our club. If the dog is suitable we tell them. If not we also tell them.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

I believe that it is unfair to speculate on a dog's true capabilities, when trying to evaluate them for the first time. (JMO).
Dogs/puppies raised in different environments and limited exposures to certain stimuli...can react & respond uninterested, stressed or suspicious.
example: 12 week old WL puppy came for evaluation. Puppy showed no interest in rag, was completely uninterested in any stimuli (food or play).
After about 1 month (weekends)...a little "switch" turned on...
He engaged in making the "target" move.....and his drives are maturing nicely.
Today at 7mos old, he bites a soft sleeve full, fights strongly and has to be pulled away from the training area. He is confident and eager to work.

So...my opinion is...".Find a club or group that you feel comfortable in training with...and be fair and "honest" about the abilities of your dog/puppy. Give your dog/puppy the allowance to mature, and don't push too hard...too soon."
Not all dogs have the ability for Schutzhund..(true enough)...and a good trainer will be honest with you. There is large commitment on the owner/handlers part....make sure that you can dedicate yourself.
Best of luck!
...this is just my opinion...nothing more..
Robin

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I believe that it is unfair to speculate on a dog's true capabilities, when trying to evaluate them for the first time. (JMO).
Dogs/puppies raised in different environments and limited exposures to certain stimuli...can react & respond uninterested, stressed or suspicious.
example: 12 week old WL puppy came for evaluation. Puppy showed no interest in rag, was completely uninterested in any stimuli (food or play).
After about 1 month (weekends)...a little "switch" turned on...
He engaged in making the "target" move.....and his drives are maturing nicely.
Today at 7mos old, he bites a soft sleeve full, fights strongly and has to be pulled away from the training area. He is confident and eager to work.

So...my opinion is...".Find a club or group that you feel comfortable in training with...and be fair and "honest" about the abilities of your dog/puppy. Give your dog/puppy the allowance to mature, and don't push too hard...too soon."
Not all dogs have the ability for Schutzhund..(true enough)...and a good trainer will be honest with you. There is large commitment on the owner/handlers part....make sure that you can dedicate yourself.
Best of luck!
...this is just my opinion...nothing more..
Robin
I agree with this comment 100%.

Because I've seen the same w/some dogs that have come out to our club.. The dog/pup didn't show much interest in the beginning and a couple months down the road it was a totally different picture..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Elite Member

This may seem like an obvious question, but are you taking a white shepherd for evaluation? If you are, I think that is pretty cool. (don't anybody stone me) I would love to see a white shepherd take the field. My passion is standard working lines, but I would love to see the South African Boerboel that received its SchH3 not too long ago. I had an opportunity to catch an Airedale awhile back, and that was awesome...those are a very interesting breed to me. I am looking for an opportunity to catch a Giant Schnauzer....I have been around one, and they are very statuesque.

I say train the dog you have to the best of both your abilities and learn. If you find the right SchH club, the key is dedication. SchH is a lifestyle. If you've found the right club, you/your dog don't have to be good just willing. When you're around the training long enough, many of the ole'hands at the training will always go on and on about how they screwed-up their first dog.....so don't worry and just train for the sake of training. When you're around the training long enough, you'll understand more of what it takes to perform in the work, but more importantly, you'll understand what kind of trainer you are and what that means in terms of what you want in your next dog. Always planning ahead in the training.

Find the right club, train the dog you have, and build a foundation. Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble, I highly recommend it.

BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Knighted Member

W.Oliver...Love your club website!

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

A lot can be seen in these evaluations if the helper and/or the TD know what they are looking for. Evaluating young puppies is different than young dogs and I, personally, would not be as critical of a pup. Young dogs are different.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Oliver View Post
This may seem like an obvious question, but are you taking a white shepherd for evaluation? If you are, I think that is pretty cool. (don't anybody stone me) I would love to see a white shepherd take the field.
I always wondered how they do a temperament evaluation at a club...wondered if it was different than what our trainer did. I'd need a lot more confidence as a handler in public before you'd ever see me walking around a field with spectators watching. Maybe when the next pup is older I'll be ready.

The trainer we went to has dogs from Czech border patrol lines. (I believe he actually imports to breed occasionally) He does protection, guard, K-9 and Schutzhund training but isn't part of a club that I know of. Anyway...

Both of our dogs were evaluated by him when they were each about 5-6 months old..it's been a long time, I think that's how old they were. Harley got a thumbs up for working dog, he said Annie was a little soft. He evaluated over a 6 week period for Harley and 4 weeks for Annie, just doing different things each week.

So that was it...just curiosity more than anything. Wondering if his methods were different than a formal clubs would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page