Sport vs. Real Dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Sport vs. Real Dog?

I have gone from perpetually waiting for a puppy, to now being faced with actually bringing one home soon. This eventuality has been a catalyst for some thinking on what I really want in my working line GSD?

In absolute terms here is what I can say about the GSD I desire;
1.) A working line GSD
2.) Solid nerve
3.) Stock Coat (a dog within standard)

Here is what I think I can say;
1.) I thought I'd prefer a male, although fate has me second guessing that......
2.) I prefer a real dog to a sport dog

Which leads me to my question......what is a sport dog vs. a real dog? I think I know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned

what dog isn't a "real dog"????

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Oliver View Post

Which leads me to my question......what is a sport dog vs. a real dog? I think I know.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

To me a "sport dog" is a dog who has not only the ability to work (structure, nerve, temperament, etc..) but has the drive to want to work.

Stark is a great dog, excellent nerve, great temperament, okay structure (prelims looks good) but he does not have the drive to work. It is getting better with age and training/finding his "thing" he will work for but it still take me a lot of energy to motivate him.

To me a "sport dog" is a dog that was bred to be enthusiastic to work for the handler, a yearning to please and to work.

They are all "real dogs" but I think a "sport dog" just has that extra 'zing' for life. I think this can be found in a lot of working lines, not ones just deemed for sport.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

I too prefer a REAL dog. Luckly we own two of those...Dorian and Arko. These 2 dogs have solid nerves, nothing phases them and they both have a ton of drive but when they go on the field, they are serious about their job, not a game. They don't care if there is a sleeve present or not.
I know some people prefer sport dogs, but I like the serious ones.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GSDBESTK9; 11-17-2010 at 11:39 AM.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Interesting. Don't think I've ever heard Elisabeth's definitions of "sport" or "real" before. Guess that really shows that when using terminology it's important to make sure the terms mean the same to the people talking!

My experience with these is that the common definitions of them tend to focus mainly on the way the dog approaches protection work. To the "sport" dog it is very much a game. A big, rough and tumble game, but still mainly a game with the dog working primarily (and often exclusively) out of prey drive. Whereas to a "real" dog protection is more about protection and fighting with the dog working out of a more balanced set of drives, one of them being aggression. I prefer a "real" dog in that sense. A dog who approaches protection as a fight, and views the helper as someone to be dominated and beat into the dirt, not as a playmate.

Of course, then there are those who use "real" dog to describe dogs who are nutcases. Overly sharp dogs working out of pure defense. Dogs who are civil not because they want to beat the daylights out of someone, but who are civil because they are unstable. The dog can't be made sleeve sure, or who immediately spits out the sleeve and lunges at the neutral helper to some is impressive and "real". To me that sort of behavior shows imbalance, either in temperament, training or both. Certainly I would not want a "real" dog based on that definition.

post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Crowned Member

Does that mean that a "real" dog isn't having fun or enjoying himself in the protection phase?

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Does that mean that a "real" dog isn't having fun or enjoying himself in the protection phase?
No, he's still having fun. But the enjoyment comes from beating an opponent, dominating them, pushing them around, controlling them, and basically showing that he is "top dog" moreso than getting a toy.

post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Crowned Member

To me a "real" dog is a thinking dog that possesses aggression, power, and courage from the right place and does not work from being neurotically overloaded with prey drive and/or being overly reactive/sharp.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

I think my definition of a "sport dog" is off compared to some because I have yet to have that dog that will work for me "just cause". I think the closes definition of Stark would be considered a "real dog" in terms of working ability, he's a very serious boy, even as a puppy. He's not one to see the sleeve and go nuts, he wants the guy wearing the sleeve. Now, I wouldn't consider him a sport dog for those two reasons by my definition or yours. I don't think I would consider him a "real dog either though because he is lacking qualities that I see as important in terms of a well balanced working dog. Not sure if that makes sense or not? It did in my head.. lol.

I think I perfer a "real dog" going off of Chris and Carolina's definition. I like the fact that they are not there to "play games" that they know there is a job to be done and they take that seriously. I also think that being a newbie that this type of dog may be too much for some not only in training but in the real world as well. Not sure how acurrate that is, but with what I think a 'real dog" is, I have a feeling that it is a lot of dog. I also think that a "real dog" may be easier to mess up, espeically if you don't know what your doing - which I really don't at this point. I'm learning but I am not there yet.

I think a real dog would show confidence, maybe a little cocky even. They would be a little harder and I agree, would be of balanced drives.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 12:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to lesslis
Can't a well bred "sport dog" turn into a "real dog" ??? With proper training of course.

GSD Penni-7
GSD Tebow-3.5

GSD Bailey 13 yrs 7-2-2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page