Schutzhund = Tradition - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Schutzhund = Tradition

I appreciate/value the traditional aspect of Schutzhund and the German Shepherd Dog (setting aside the changes in schutzhund over the years).

My question is....is there another breed of dog with a comparable history for work and breed worthiness as determined by SchH or Herding titles? Hunting or otherwise?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:23 PM
The Italian One

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track but how about Alaskan Malamutes and Harness/Weight/Sled pulling? Setters and Bird Hunting?

Am I following you?

Home of Sundance, Butch & Wyatt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Do the sled dogs have a title process comparable to SchH...not in the strictest of senses of course, but in regards to level of working ability and breeding requirements?

I sort of assumed there would be a breed of hunting dog that would have some working title requirement, but I am extremely myopic in my view....there are GSDs, and the rest are just dogs.....so people who meet me assume I know about "dogs", and I really don't, so they are typically surprised...which is fine, because then they don't ask me to train their dog...I know there are some ancient breeds like Pharaoh Hounds. For the sake of my life-long best friend who is a Border Collie guy, and the fact that my first dog was a Standard Collie...I broaden acceptable to the herding group!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:43 PM

Alaskan huskies (not Siberian huskies), many lines of working hunting dogs, english shepherds (for the most part, still a working dog to this day). Border collies with the abca.

-Melissa
Lloyd (big black mix)
Nash (rescue GSD)
and the cats
Snickers (DSH tortie)
Jake (DLH tuxedo blk & Wht)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Oliver View Post
Do the sled dogs have a title process comparable to SchH...not in the strictest of senses of course, but in regards to level of working ability and breeding requirements?

I sort of assumed there would be a breed of hunting dog that would have some working title requirement, but I am extremely myopic in my view....there are GSDs, and the rest are just dogs.....so people who meet me assume I know about "dogs", and I really don't, so they are typically surprised...which is fine, because then they don't ask me to train their dog...I know there are some ancient breeds like Pharaoh Hounds. For the sake of my life-long best friend who is a Border Collie guy, and the fact that my first dog was a Standard Collie...I broaden acceptable to the herding group!!!
With working dogs the work is the what determines if the dog has ability and should be bred. If the alaskan husky (working sled dogs, usually a mix of various breeds) can't pull a sled all day, day in and day out, its not going to be kept on the team and isn't going to be bred. There are hunting dog trials, which are very difficult when you get to the higher levels. For sight hounds there is lure coursing. For pitties it used to be dog fighting, now weight pull is a popular sport to determine your pitties physical soundness (for the record I do not condone dog fighting).

There are earth dog trials, fox hunts, coon hunts . . . all designed to test the dogs ability (or if its a real one, again if the dog can't do it, it won't be used). Dogos are often used to hunt wild pigs in texas, if the dog gets ahold of the pigs and lives its good to go, if it dies, well its weeded out of the gene pool.

-Melissa
Lloyd (big black mix)
Nash (rescue GSD)
and the cats
Snickers (DSH tortie)
Jake (DLH tuxedo blk & Wht)

Last edited by Melgrj7; 10-25-2010 at 09:50 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:57 PM
The Italian One

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Oliver View Post
Yes, Alaskan Malamutes do have a titling process.

Working Dog Committee

Of course, just like the GSD in America nothing is really required to breed a dog other than it has the parts.

Home of Sundance, Butch & Wyatt

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Crowned Member

Greyhounds. Only the fastest and healthiest are bred, the rest are either killed or petted out.

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 01:26 AM

Drahthaars have breeding requirements also. Don't really know anything about them, just heard they must be tested for breeding.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

JGHV Testing Program

Thanks for posting....the German Wire Hair Pointers have a pretty organized field test for breeding.

Well honestly, this thread gets me off my high horse thinking about GSDs......just kidding, no it doesn't!!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 04:27 AM
Elite Member

Labs have hunt tests and field trials.

Dutch Shepherds are usually associated with French Ring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page