"working the grip" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

"working the grip"

Okay, I hear this phrase in schutzhund training. I guess I have never been certain that I knew exactly what it means or entails?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Crowned Member

It means you are working on getting a deeper, stronger bite where the sleeve is all the way to the back of the dog's mouth and he's not coming off any time soon.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

... and what are the reasons the grip might be less than desirable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Crowned Member

A shallow or weak bite is undesirable.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Crowned Member

Chewing the sleeve is also undesireable...as is thrashing it when slipped from the helper.
Thats why we run them around to keep the firm grip then calmly stroking the dog while cradling their chin to re-enforce that calm grip. If they start to chew, you out them to discourage that.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Master Member

The desired grip is hard, full, and calm, and in the center of the bite bar. There are many reasons that a dog's grip might not achieve that ideal:

- too young.

- poor training.

- inhibited by the handler.

- afraid of the helper.

- distracted by other influences.

- lack of confidence.

- poor nerves.

- too much training pressure.

- bad teeth, or another medical problem.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I am guessing there are several reasons a poor grip could be occurring. Obviously, genetics is one of them. Defensiveness? Conflict with handler?

I see some people who I think are working the grip get back in the sleeve and do several things with the dog. I was wondering if all that working was effective.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
II see some people who I think are working the grip get back in the sleeve and do several things with the dog. I was wondering if all that working was effective.
Jan Kokx, for example, seems to be pretty good at it, and some people swear that it works for them. But I'm sure it only really works some of the time, and only lasts for so long. If the dog is under enough pressure for long enough he will probably revert to whatever behavior his genetics and foundation training will allow.

The other question is, are you trying to make the grips a little better so a very good dog can make V, or so a weak dog can pass a trial? I suspect the outcomes will not be the same.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

"working the grip"; i thought it
described what you do when you
catch them chewing the sofa,
your shoes, counter surfing, etc.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Knighted Member

The good grip comes before you ever offer it. That means the helper sees that the dog is at the right level of drive, at a level that I suppose you could call balanced for that dog and then the grip comes. If the helper is there trying to fix it after the initial grip, it is because the work before the grip was not correct . Most" working on the grip " is to teach the dog to counter or hit back/to re-enforce aggression or to re-enforce it when the dog tries to stop the helper or pull as the helper is turned away in flight. Again, what the helper does before the grip comes will determine how well the dog does those thngs also.
Trying to fix chewing, half grips etc, would be work the helper would do before he offers the grip.

Anne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page