Who should start a club? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Who should start a club?

I am just curious as to what qualifications or accomplishments you all think one should have before starting a schutzhund club.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Elite Member

It's been awhile since I looked at the exact specs, but I believe you have to have a training director who has titled a dog for at least a BH and is required to pass a written exam (for DVG), not sure about UScA or WDA but probably pretty similar.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

No. Not who CAN start a club. Who SHOULD start a club?

Art

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

Someone committed to developing the CLUB. I see a lot of people come and go that are really only interested in their dog and their training (show up late, leave as soon as they are done....) and then they wonder why it's so hard to start a good club and keep it going... Everyone has to be willing to get their hands dirty and be involved, it's not like going to the all-breed training classes where you pay your class fee and listen/watch the instructor for an hour.

I don't know if there are certain qualifications or accomplishments I'd required but eventually the club's going to need a decent training helper, that's probably the hardest thing.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

So Lies,
In your opinion it does not matter so much if a person knows how to train a dog so long as they are on time and stay until training is finished?

On your tangent; what constitutes a "decent training helper"? Is it just someone who owns a few sleeves and can catch a dog?

Art

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Lies. Starting a club has more to do with leadership and social skills than with training dogs. The person starting the club may have no idea of dogs, but if this person is able to convince people who do know to be training directors and helpers on his/her club, and all the people working towards the same goal it is all that matter at the end.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think a club can survive or even begin without a GOOD helper/TD.
I club hopped a bit as a newbie and saw experienced helpers(which I had no hesitation my dog working with on a regular basis) a helper in training, though certified~learning from a very experienced trial helper~ but didn't want either one of them to work my dog on a regular basis.

A good helper needs to know when not to push, or when to put pressure on and I'm sure it is challenging when they are working 10 different dogs with 10 different
personalities. It can change from session to session as well.
I would hope if a training group got together, there would be enough collective knowledge within to know whether the helper was doing right by each dog. IMO, there should be an experienced TD and a helper so this is done.
Of course hard to do when a young group gets going especially when the politics of affiliation with the USA,DVG, WDA,SDA etc gets mixed in.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 10-02-2010 at 09:59 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote from Onyx : "IMO, there should be an experienced TD and a helper"

So what is "experienced"? A person who has won WUSV? Competed at WUSV? A regular contender at the Nationals? Someone who has put a SchH3 on a dog? Someone who has been in the sport for 30 yrs and has titled a few dogs but never shown at a regionals? What is "experience"?

Art

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Crowned Member

Someone who had titled to a 3 would be best if possible.

I think if you've actively trained for a number of years your passion for the sport shows. Of course by then your reputation is out there as well.
Those that know lines.
Many who train do not strive to go to the nationals, others it is all about that, so that may or may not be as important to an individual.
It is also expensive, resources may not be available to travel to the bigger events.
In some areas you can't even find a club without driving several hours~ so hard to be choosy.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 10-02-2010 at 10:12 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote from Onyx: "Someone who had titled to a 3 would be best if possible."

So anyone who has made a SchH3 with a dog is qualified to help others?

Art

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page