Help Schutzhund or Obedience - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Help Schutzhund or Obedience

Ok. I haven't slept well in two nights all this all I can think about. I recently bought my first GSD Otto in March he is 7 months old now as of the 23rd of this month. He is beautiful and solid black. After buying Otto I got totally obsessed with the breed. I read lots about the different sports we could get into. I choice to go with Schutzhund. I found two trainers in the area and visted with them. I chose to go with one MelloDee. She is very knowledgeable about the breed and sport. MelloDee also owns Otto grandfather Eli. So far have been to 3 lesson and visted the club once. I work with Otto every day. I feel over overwhelmed, I know this might be rubbing off on Otto. We are both green to the sport. I feel like maybe I'm in over my head. I think I need to take baby steps... Maybe just do obedience with Otto and try Schutzhund later..... with him or another dog. What do you think I should do? Stick with it? Go to more Schutzhund Club meetings? More training? Chose some thing else. Or am I just freaking out for no reason? I need advice......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Crowned Member

What are you feeling overwhelmed with? The time commitment? Pressure to train correctly? That you don't want to do protection or tracking?

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well I have the time.... the pressure to do it the right way and not the wrong way is my issue I guess. I'm interested in doing all three parts of Schutzhund. The only other person I have to talk to about training is my trainer besides asking questions on here. I just feel like maybe I need more time to observer and gather info. I know that now is the time to train thought.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleOttoMom View Post
Well I have the time.... the pressure to do it the right way and not the wrong way is my issue I guess. I'm interested in doing all three parts of Schutzhund. The only other person I have to talk to about training is my trainer besides asking questions on here. I just feel like maybe I need more time to observer and gather info. I know that now is the time to train thought.....
It can all be a little overwhelming when you first start. Especially if you are a projectionist/overachiever like me. Sometimes you just have to come to terms with the fact that you are NOT going to do everything right and be realistic about your expectations of yourself. It is difficult when you compare yourself to people who have been doing this stuff for years and years. You just aren't going to be as good. It take a lot of learning and patience and each time you try a new aspect of training or get a different dog you start over again. You can't really learn by JUST observing and reading. You have to get out there and DO IT too.

The other issue is that I don't think that dog training in general and SchH in particular is NOT very "new people friendly." Maybe people get cynical from seeing so many people come and go, or maybe it is pride of accomplishment. But, with the exception of my club members, the many of the people I have interacted in SchH, obedience, agility, and even this forum at times don't seem to remember what it was like to be the "new kid", something I hope I never lose. You just have to take the "if only you were as good as me" attitude that you sometimes get with a grain of salt and just continue to do the best you can.

If it is something you truly enjoy, don't let the fear of failure prevent you from continuing.

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog

Last edited by Ruthie; 09-29-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: error
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Crowned Member

What are your goals? To get to the Nationals or to have fun and learn with Otto?

Lets face it, we never do it right with our dogs, none of us. We just try to ruin this a little less than he previous one and the next a little less than this one.

Change sports will change how you feel? For what I know, Obedience can be as competitive as Schutzhund, and maybe the same will happen if you pursue Agility, rally, herding, wathever. Give it a little time, maybe it is only a stage, I remember once I thought the same about SAR and... it was 8 years ago...

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

So are you doing private training with just a trainer. Not saying that is bad, since we do that here as well, but we do encourage all the noobs to get involved with a club. In most clubs there are members at many levels of the Schutzhund spectrum and it is very reassuring to talk with others and get multiple views on the sport. Some clubs only want members who plan on being very competitive, so be clear with yourself about your goals. We have a few dogs in our club who will probably never go beyond a BH, but the handlers got the dogs knowing nothing about Schutzhund, so are learning with their first dog. We love this, they get their feet wet learning with no pressure to go out and win a trial. Then when they decide to get competitive (if they do) then they can research a breeding with some basis of reality of what they want. New members watch some of our more seasoned members and see how it is to work a really high drive dog and figure out whether that is for them or if they are happy doing the sport for the joy of it, or somewhere in between.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Crowned Member

If you aren't doing something wrong, then you aren't doing anything. There is no possible way to be perfect all the time. You are bound to make mistakes...that's why you have a trainer...to guide you and to correct you.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 PM

When i got my new pup I took the plunge and chose Schutzhund over other sports for him to participate in. This is my first Schutzhund pup and like our training director says each pup is a learning experience and we are going to make mistakes. So I make a mistake and learn from it. i am not perfect nor expect my dog to be perfect at something I am just learning. What has helped me the most along with a club to train at is reading a couple of books like "Training the Behavior" by Gary Patterson.

Also i have a set of goals in my mind I would like to achieve and for that to happen I have to do a lot of listen and learn, not worry about being perfect since that is just an illusion in our own minds.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Knighted Member

Hmm you must be going to the OTHER schutzhund club in Dallas

All joking aside, I would just keep going to your club, watch, learn, maybe get someone to help you a little with obedience and tracking (since we are entering our prime tracking season here in Texas), and most importantly, have fun and see if you and the pup like it or not.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you for the wonderful advice. Ya'll have made me see the light! I have realized that I'm a bit of an overachiever. LOL.... Also I need to relax and learn together with Otto. Remember that I'am new and it dose take years to learn. This is an adventure for the two of us to work on together as a team. I love Otto he is very important to me and I know so far he is having a blast. I going to be more invloved with the club and maybe try another one... But I definitely need to be positive and move forward with what I really want to do. Shuzhund! Jason L what group do you belong to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page