Protection Seminar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Protection Seminar

I spent the long Labor Day weekend in Georgia at Atlanta K9 Academy attending a protection seminar with James Laney.

It was a very worthwhile weekend. There were dogs from just starting out young dogs to Sch 3. There were five of us from Tampa Bay Working Dog Club and nine club dogs, youngest seven months to four years old. All made good progress and handlers came away with better insight on their dogs.

It was a great weekend with good people and dogs.

Nora

Cain von Hena-C, VPG A, TT 10/19/2003 - 12/17/2009
Gone but not forgotten.

Dazzle von Linienbach, 02/07/2009
Learning the ropes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 PM

It really was an EXCELLENT weekend.

I think if you have the opportunity to work with James Laney, you should go. He's really a gifted helper with a lot of great training ideas. Additionally he's really personable and takes the time to explain things. I know my dogs and I got a lot out of the weekend! (I'm still processing!)

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Crowned Member

Great opportunity for you! I bet it was a worthwhile time.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Elite Member

That would be a nice seminar in January for Michiganders! Really, anytime of year, but to get out of the snow and head to Georiga for training...priceless.

BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Crowned Member

Roadtrip!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CainGSD View Post
I spent the long Labor Day weekend in Georgia at Atlanta K9 Academy attending a protection seminar with James Laney.
Tell us more . Any good stories from the weekend? I once handled in a trial with James Laney as the front half helper (excellent work on his part), but I never trained with him.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 PM

What was great about James wasn't really that the ideas were earth shattering and new...but rather just things that really made sense, pointing out handler errors and habits, tweaking things you were already doing and making them work better, and just generally very insightful things that make you go...DUH.

The fact that he didn't just work the dog, say "Nice dog" and move on his way...but rather took time to give you his impressions, give some suggestions, and was super kind throughout made it an extraordinarily helpful seminar. We also had our helpers up with us, and he took the time to show them how to carry over what he was doing so that training could progress with the new ideas when we got home.

It also doesn't hurt that's he a very gifted athlete as well.

Some pictures from the seminar...

Tag! This was his second bitework session ever. James had some really neat ideas on teaching targeting borrowed from suit work. By the end of the weekend he had Tag on a ring sleeve taking bites where they were presented- forearm, shoulder, inside bicep, etc.

Cade

Argos. We were working on making sure he was clean on the out after pressure (Heavy stick hits and a lot of pressure in the drive and he doesn't always want to let go right away). James flung all 85lbs of this dog around like he was a rag doll. Not many helpers can move him around like that because of his size and the fact that he's so stinking long. Good experience for the dog

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Crowned Member

We had him up here last spring and he was great.

Elaine and the herd
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 07:52 AM

sounds like loads of fun !

Nora ! How are you and the dogs?? Long time no see

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page