Leyna got tired...need advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Leyna got tired...need advice

We had our first day at the club today. Leyna did amazing during her tracking portion this morning. She picked it up quickly and did about a 50 ft track. This afternoon, she did ok during her obedience portion but was more interested in trying to eat rocks. She did do well with her balance though and got compliments on her sit. However, by the time we got to bite work, she had no interest anymore. What can I do to assist this? Is it just her age?

SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggirl47 View Post
We had our first day at the club today. Leyna did amazing during her tracking portion this morning. She picked it up quickly and did about a 50 ft track. This afternoon, she did ok during her obedience portion but was more interested in trying to eat rocks. She did do well with her balance though and got compliments on her sit. However, by the time we got to bite work, she had no interest anymore. What can I do to assist this? Is it just her age?
Are you sure it was fatigue? What did the helper or TD say about her behavior?

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

How old?

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The helper and trainer said I need to work with her on her prey drive more. But at home, she is through the roof and chases everything, rags, balls, ropes. She is 11 1/2 weeks. I know she is young, but I don't want her to start bad habits.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggirl47 View Post
The helper and trainer said I need to work with her on her prey drive more. But at home, she is through the roof and chases everything, rags, balls, ropes. She is 11 1/2 weeks. I know she is young, but I don't want her to start bad habits.
A 50 ft. track, an obedience session, then a protection session is the equivalent of a full trial for her. She'll pick it all up eventually, but at 11 1/2 weeks it would be possible to overload her and cause her to shut down. Tracking is a lot of mental work, then she had an obedience lesson, so by the time protection came around she was probably worn out.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, as I have not seen your dog work. Until she is about six months of age, just train her in one phase per day. Track her one day, then the next day play obedience with her, then the next day play chase and catch games with a toy to simulate the protection phase. Be sure that the helper and trainer don't put too much pressure on her, too early in her training.

"What's there to dominate when your dog is well trained and it does what you ask??" - DoggieDad
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Through the week, I am doing obedience daily, at least 15 minute sessions. We are working on heeling during our daily walks. We play chase, tug, etc., constantly. It's her favorite game and she wants to play like that non stop. It really suprised me today that she didn't want to play tug today and wasn't very interested in rag work. She ALWAYS goes after the rag. I will probably only do tracking once or twice a week right now.

At the rainbow bridge:
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Master Member

Sounds like she's got a busy life with a great person.

If I could guarantee who I'd come back to, I'd come back as one of these dogs. I know mine are spoiled rotten

"What's there to dominate when your dog is well trained and it does what you ask??" - DoggieDad
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I just don't get why she wouldn't do the bite work today. We do it constantly. Could it just be her age? Or because it was a new place?

At the rainbow bridge:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
If it were my puppy.. I'd let her be a puppy and have fun with her.. I certainly wouldn't expect too much out of her.. Puppies fizzle quickly.. Nor would I expect her to have the stamina or drive of an adult dog..

Bad habits could be you expecting way to much out of a baby.. pushing her before she is really ready or making her do things her body isn't capable of yet..

Let her grow up some.. The sport isn't going any where..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Crowned Member

Based on your sig, she is not yet 3 months old?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page