crates for schH club days...? Help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

crates for schH club days...? Help!

Our dog bent in the door of his crate at training this weekend. I didn't want to post it under equipment because I think its more of a schutzhund question since he has to wait for his turn in the car during training. He did not make any noise and was not barking..... is an aluminum crate my only option now? I'm not sure I can trust him in an airline crate anymore. I'm looking for suggestions and how others have handeled this. Does anyone know of a good deal on aluminum crates? I am also worried about how much they weigh since I won't always want to leave it in my Dodge Durango.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM

Does your dog use his teeth to break out? The only problem I have with going to an aluminum crate is that if your dog continues to use his teeth to try and break out, you might end up needing to replace some teeth. And aluminum crates are not compeltely indestructable- not to a determined dog. We had a dog that managed to pull the bolts off of a gun dog box, and bent the bars and pulled them out on another crate, sort of like a gorilla at a zoo. It was insane. She was not a SchH dog.

Other dogs I've known who break crates at SchH still use the plastic crates. They insert a metal bar across the door to reinforce it. And usually they pick up the airline crates cheaply from Craigslist so that when the crate breaks they just replace it.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Master Member

Caja's Mom has a bitch (Caja, as a matter of fact) who was a total breakout artist. I don't know how many crate doors she pulled in and destroyed. She told me that she solved the problem by simply using the reusable zip (cable) ties to secure the door to the crate body. I don't think she has been on here much lately, but here are some links to relevant posts:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post1512936

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post1406964
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

He is 6 years old but new to us... I don't know what he used to bend it in. I didn't hear any barking but I did hear some scratching. I would guess it was with his paws. Where do I get th metal bar? thanks.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

I will check at our home depot today for the zip ties. I didn't know they made zip ties that you could reuse. thanks!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Crowned Member

Didn't Flash's owner make some sort of door insert for her crate door?

Instead of the aluminum crates what about the "dog boxes" that gun dog people use? My uncle had one that was not cheap but it was about the size of a crate and he was always moving it amongst his vehicles or lifting it out and keeping the dog in the shade.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Knighted Member

I saw Flash's modified crate once. It was pretty cool. Flash's owner's forum name is Jesusica. Perhaps she can give you details on what she did with the crate.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Didn't Flash's owner make some sort of door insert for her crate door?

Instead of the aluminum crates what about the "dog boxes" that gun dog people use? My uncle had one that was not cheap but it was about the size of a crate and he was always moving it amongst his vehicles or lifting it out and keeping the dog in the shade.
I looked at some of those on line too. Here in TN I also have to worry about the heat and how many air holes.... I wish I could see them in person instead of online! thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Crowned Member

I think his was specially made to be insulated for cold and heat. The inside was smaller than the outside, if that makes sense.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Crowned Member

Where are you parking at training? Maybe park over on the other side of the fence and away from the other vehicles (I know where she trains...:-)).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page