Schutzhund gear - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Schutzhund gear

My husband and I are new to Schutzhund and my husband has decided to become a helper. He went to a seminar already and did some work with a dog the book is in the mail and there is a seminar and certification next month well like 3 weeks and we need scratch pants. Is there anywhere to get just a cheap pair? Nothing special as we will gladly replace them but need something right now just something cheap for beginning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 09:29 PM

Check Craigslist and Ebay. Sometimes you can find a barely used pair. Otherwise new scratch pants are pretty expensive.

Down here in the Florida heat, helpers also use the Aprons. A cheap alternative to the specially made Scratch aprons (like this one Leather or Nylon Helper Scratch Apron ) are Leather Welder Aprons (like this one Condor leather apron - Google Product Search )

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Crowned Member

I know up in the harsher weather, Carhart bibs are sometimes used as well~though I'm not sure for certification if you have to have "official" gear.
Can you get a loaner pair from your club to borrow?
I remember when I was looking for a vest this site was recommended to me:
http://stores.ebay.com/CAN-AM-TRAINI...4.l1513&_pgn=1

two pair listed~
http://stores.ebay.com/CAN-AM-TRAINI...34Q2ec0Q2em322

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 08-22-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

For a helper classification they must wear scratch pants. Borrowing is an option. Otherwise I wouldn't know where to send you. I would check out the different companies that supply equipment for SchH.

Here are a few.

http://www.hallmarkk9.com/cgi-bin/pl...vc+Screen=SFNT

Dog Training Equipment for Police, Military & Schutzhund Training - Prodogz.com

Dog harness , Dog collar , Dog leash , Dog muzzle - Dog training equipment from Trusted Direct Source - Home

http://www.elitek9.com/index.htm

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you guys. Anyone know of specific brands that have just the pants where it stops at the waist. I noticed some are like overalls and some are just pants he would definitely prefer the pants that stop at the waist he died in the NC heat in the overalls last weekend. Wonder if there are any specific sites for used SchH gear instead of general sites like CL and Ebay? Been looking but no luck.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM

I don't think I've seen scratch pants without the bib...You want those for protection as dogs definitely come up higher than the waist. With the heat you might want to consider a synthetic pant. Obviously leather are the hottest.

These are pretty reasonably priced at under $200.
Scratch Pants Synthetic

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmeshx2 View Post
My husband and I are new to Schutzhund and my husband has decided to become a helper. He went to a seminar already and did some work with a dog the book is in the mail and there is a seminar and certification next month well like 3 weeks and we need scratch pants. Is there anywhere to get just a cheap pair? Nothing special as we will gladly replace them but need something right now just something cheap for beginning.
Hey there, give me a call if you are still looking for scratch pants.
I belong to the same club.
Julio Hernandez
336-480-8379
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmeshx2 View Post
Thank you guys. Anyone know of specific brands that have just the pants where it stops at the waist. I noticed some are like overalls and some are just pants he would definitely prefer the pants that stop at the waist he died in the NC heat in the overalls last weekend. Wonder if there are any specific sites for used SchH gear instead of general sites like CL and Ebay? Been looking but no luck.
You do not want waist level pants. period. Especially in the heat. To be useful you must wear a scratch jacket with short pants because often the dog will rake you above the waist line. The overalls allow you to work dogs safely without a jacket, and yes they will be hot, very hot, in the summer but that's what helpers put up with.

There are no sites for used Schutzhund gear, it pretty much just gets used to death and is too small a market to bother with for a website owner.

Don't get cheap pants, a cheap pair will be somewhat under $200 a good pair a bit under 300, it isn't that big a difference to bother with when you are talking about an item designed to keep you from getting ripped open and ending up in the hospital.

Kaiser SchH3 CGC TDI,
Nara CGC,
Wulf SchH1 P1 PD1 T1 URO2 CGC TT,
Raven SchH3 AWD2 PD1 P1 PA T1 UCD URO2 CGC TT,
Della SchHA TR1 PD1 P1 PA T1 URO2 CGC TT,
Heidi,
Jasmine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in