SchH Sleeve 1976 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

SchH Sleeve 1976

Thought I'd share a couple of pictures. This is the sleeve we used in the club I started at. (These pictures are of a seminar in Mexico City).

Just in case anyone was taking for granted the feather weight equipment we use now. I don't think many have experienced what it is like to work an 85 lbs dog using a sleeve that weighs about 30 lbs but it did have a way of separating the weaker helpers from the rest. hehehe.
We didn't use lots of prey attractions back then and maybe that was a good thing, since doing so, might have resulted in back strains, muscle pulls and a severe case of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Of course, those sleeves kind of looked a little like a dead animal so, I guess there was an element of prey work to it. Training in the rain was reallly not a good idea while wearing that thing. It weighed about 50 lbs when it was wet. In fact, I remember training was canceled once when it was left outside during a rain storm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 PM

WOW. That is really something. What was the material on the bite section, it looks very fuzzy, but at first I was almost thinking carpet...

Michelle K.
--------------
Torro v Lordon Haus (GSD) SchH3 IPO3 OFA HOT (RIP)
Nico van Arek (Mal) SchH3 OFA HOT (Retired)
Chuligan pod Cvilinem (Mal)
Krafts Bijoou (Mal)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Crowned Member

I can't imagine the dog carrying that around either! Thanks for sharing those pics, would love to see others if you have more!!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 01:22 PM

That is a good question. At that time, was it common procedure for the dogs to carry the sleeve as we do today, or did Raiser come along after?

Michelle K.
--------------
Torro v Lordon Haus (GSD) SchH3 IPO3 OFA HOT (RIP)
Nico van Arek (Mal) SchH3 OFA HOT (Retired)
Chuligan pod Cvilinem (Mal)
Krafts Bijoou (Mal)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Crowned Member

That is the mother of all sleeves!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Knighted Member

It does look like an animal!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Crowned Member

Wow! Even with the sleeves now, my non-SchH friends are always on my Flickr asking, "why is the dog carrying/biting a carpet?" This one reminds me of that hairy monster in the bad credit score commercial, lol.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

The sleeve was jute but not the same texture as what we see now. That was not a sleeve cover, it was the sleeve. There were no covers for that beast, everything was connected. The picture above is about as close as I can come to what it looked like, only weaved.

No, the dog's did not carry it, the helper would slip it and the dog was expected to go back after the helper. Those pants were not for wimps either. I think they weighed about ten pounds because there was so much padding, but back then, the dogs just might bite you somewhere else, so, it was probably a good idea at the time. About five years later they had started to come up with sleeves that look more like what we have now and then the dogs were starting to carry them, because that is about when that training philosophy was introduced.

Anne

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Crowned Member

That is crazy!

Thanks for sharing that!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Crowned Member

John still has a lot of those sleeves, under the arms sleeves,(both leather and canvas), and an old suit that looks like a space suit. We never had dogs carrying sleeves in those days, dogs were focused on the threat and the threat came from the person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page