Laos Protection Video - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Laos Protection Video

This is my little (well not so little) wild child, Laos. We've been working on teaching this young male to "tap drive" as he has difficulty doing that. I believe that once I start handling him fulltime again in protection that the training will progress as he's responding to the drive tapping in obedience for me. Bob is my other helper and he just doesn't get the same response from Laos that I do.

http://

~Lynn~
Dante v. Wildhaus, SchH 3 (HOT)
Merlin v. Vereinigte Stolz, BH (HOT)
Laos v. Hünxer Wald
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lynn_P; 08-16-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
I am not a fan of the jerking and so much yanking and hostility towards the dog.. I guess I am " new school" according to the Schutzhund Club I train with. We don't introduce a prong unless it is needed, and our trainer has gone through many champions in his time... I left my original prospective club because they wanted $350 every 10 weeks for that crap.... Wasn't thrilled or impressed... your dog looks good... crazy nerves though. beginning Sch though correct?

~Kristi in Virginia Beach
Mommy to my 8 year old son... and

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Crowned Member

I think Laos looks great, his obedience and drive seemed balanced to me. And he isn't crazy when he gets the sleeve.
There was control in his behaviors and a bit of vocal leaking is ok at his age.
Bob is a bit softer on him than you, LOL!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Knighted Member

Wild child indeed!!! Laos is looking great, Lynn. Love him!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:07 AM
Crowned Member

He looks amazing!

You know how I feel about this boy.... pack him up and send him here!

I love his wild side!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:09 AM
Banned

Very nice dog.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBeachFamily View Post
I am not a fan of the jerking and so much yanking and hostility towards the dog.. I guess I am " new school" according to the Schutzhund Club I train with. We don't introduce a prong unless it is needed, and our trainer has gone through many champions in his time... I left my original prospective club because they wanted $350 every 10 weeks for that crap.... Wasn't thrilled or impressed... your dog looks good... crazy nerves though. beginning Sch though correct?
VABeach ~ I'm not a big fan of that type of training also, but every once in a while you get a dog that doesn't respond to the typical motivational training techniques that I prefer. That prong is definitely needed as we have broke three collars on this dog. Not every training method will work on all dogs. Laos is a strong willed, hard-headed, 95 lb dog with his own agenda. He's also what I consider high drive with a low threshold to get in that state of drive. Cookies and sweet talk will not get you any where with Laos. Is he a good SchH prospect ~ only time will tell. He's not going to be a "sports dog", that much I know.

~Lynn~
Laos v. Hünxer Wald
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_P View Post
He's also what I consider high drive with a low threshold to get in that state of drive. Cookies and sweet talk will not get you any where with Laos.
I like to see you try to get Laos to eat a cookie while working on his protection obedience. The only thing that boy wants to eat is the helper!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I am not a fan of the jerking and so much yanking and hostility towards the dog.. I guess I am " new school" according to the Schutzhund Club I train with.
Not to take away from the thread, but I'd be curious how you guys get a high drive, strong willed dog that's h e l l bent on getting the helper to comply? Even a compliant dog needs jerking in protection at times!

Maybe I need to make another thread!

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-burg View Post
Not to take away from the thread, but I'd be curious how you guys get a high drive, strong willed dog that's h e l l bent on getting the helper to comply? Even a compliant dog needs jerking in protection at times!

Maybe I need to make another thread!
I would like to hear from some of you also? No bashing of training techniques, just a good informational debate.

~Lynn~
Laos v. Hünxer Wald
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page