Admiring the problem (SchH discussion) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Admiring the problem (SchH discussion)

Back Story:
I recently had a discussion with a co-worker about ineffective meetings. Often there isn’t much accomplished in meetings because everyone has to explain how they understand what the problem is, they give examples of the problem, explain how the problem came into existence... No one seems to want to come up with solutions to the problem or take responsibility to be part of the solution. My co-worker mentioned a phrase that he liked from a recent class that he took. It was that the enemy of action is “Admiring the Problem”. I looked up the phrase and found that the full quote is attributed to English author and cartoonist, Ashleigh Brilliant. The full quote is “I don't have any solution, but I certainly admire the problem.”

It got me thinking. I have been active on the forum for about year and was an occasional reader before that. The problem of “SchH isn’t what it used to be” and “breed isn’t what it used to be” has been greatly admired. In fact, I think there is a full fledged fan club.

Thread Topic:
So let’s stop, at least for this thread, admiring the problem and talk about some solutions, some action items. What can we do? Anyone have an idea?

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Elite Member

As an Americian, SchH is the United Schutzhund Clubs of America....to me.

Change will either come organically from within, or from external forces. External change is typically driven as a precipitate of market influence, for lack of a better term, although it can result from other drivers such as regulation. Change driven by competition normally results in organizational change/adaptation, or market shift to the competing organization.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.

Last edited by W.Oliver; 08-13-2010 at 07:07 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Oliver View Post
Change will either come organically from within, or from external forces. External change is typically driven as a precipitate of market influence, for lack of a better term, although it can result from other drivers such as regulation. Change driven by competition normally results in organizational change/adaptation, or market shift to the competing organization.
Right. What he said.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Crowned Member

So that boils down to the *people* not supporting(by purchasing) what is being produced that will support the watered down version, but original standards for which the "product" was intended. That is alot of responsiblity on the shoulders of the producers...

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Crowned Member

As it should be Jane.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:

So, are you proposing a "wait and see" strategy, or did you have a catalyst in mind?

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
So, are you proposing a "wait and see" strategy, or did you have a catalyst in mind?

Sorry for the delay in my response, I have been out of town all weekend focused on dog training....just heaven on earth.

I am not proposing a "wait and see", however, for me personally, that works. I like United SchH Clubs of America (USA). I take it for what it is. I accept it for what it is. I utilize it for what it is. I enjoy it for what it is.

For me, I want a well rounded GSD that can do anything I ask of it (within reason of dog training). USA is one vehicle by which this is accomplished for me.

Catalysts, from a business perspective, and specific to my view of what and how USA addresses the market, are expressed as dissatisfaction by the customer with said product, with the ramification realized as a niche' in the market for potential competing organizations to take root.

We see a bit of this with Service Dogs of America (SDA). They have an outstanding product and only lacks organizational maturity to really start to impact USA. UKC Dog Sport would be another competing organization that could be realized in the future, although really addressing another segment of the market from that reflective of SDA.

Point being, the niche' exisits where the successful organization could flourish.

To close the concept loop, for me, these competing organizations simply offer additional venues to cultivate my perception of a well rounded GSD.

Missed you this weekend Ruthie!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think that this is a problem that GSD people need to fix. Too many people with GSDs won't look past the end of their nose. Although USCA is the biggest club in the AWDF, through a series of decisions, it has done a masterful job of alienating most of the other clubs in the AWDF. The AWDF is schutzhund in America and without the support of the other clubs USCA may be in a bit of trouble.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Banned

I think the number one thing we can all do to help the GSD is to stop following the SV and make a system for Americans, by Americans, with the American interest in the forefront.

Why do Americans allow German SV judges to judge breedtest? Do you think that the Germans will EVER have an American judge their National shows and trials? Do you mean to tell me that there are no Americans that are qualified? Do you think that the Germans will put American interest before their own well being?

You can never get ahead of someone if you follow them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast View Post
I think that this is a problem that GSD people need to fix. Too many people with GSDs won't look past the end of their nose. Although USCA is the biggest club in the AWDF, through a series of decisions, it has done a masterful job of alienating most of the other clubs in the AWDF. The AWDF is schutzhund in America and without the support of the other clubs USCA may be in a bit of trouble.
I don't know any of the history behind USA's alienation of any other clubs beyond GSDCA/WDA. I don't understand the spin on this comment as it relates to other breed organizations? I value the other AWDF clubs, and have trained with DVG and the Working Mal folks many times....but I love and train GSDs so why would I be a memeber of the Boxer Association, or the Rottweiler Club...etc..etc?

Your point is like saying I need to look past the men's room and give the ladies room or the family facitilty a try? I don't get it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page