Working Prospect Puppies - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question Working Prospect Puppies

Do you socialize your puppy with other puppies/dogs?

For how long before you stop?

Do you think they need (it is important) to be socialize with other dogs while they are young?

I have been socializing Cisco with another puppy and/or dog, but I think it is time to stop. I'm not saying an occasional romp around with another dog is a no no but not on a regular basis any more.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Crowned Member

I got Sinister when he was 11 weeks old. The day I got him we went to my mom's shop so he could meet alot of people, later that day he went to my mom's house and met my mom's GSD/Husky mix. The next day I took him to meet my friends GSD that is 6 months older than him. The day after that he met my ex's friends Akita. Several days later he met my best friends 2 Min Pins. I made sure he saw all of them at least once a week for the first couple of months. Now he sees two or three of them a week and he has new friends like my friends Lab/Great Dane mix, my friends Australian Cattle Dog mix and my neighbors English Bulldogs.

I think it is very important to socialize your puppy with other dogs and people.

If they enjoy the company of other dogs than you should continue to socialize them throughout their lives.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yes, if they are pets, maybe, but not a working dog. You don't want them too focused on other dogs instead of you. In other words, you don't want them to think playing with other dogs is more fun than playing with you!

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Elite Member

this is a good topic, when Max was a pup, the only dog he socialized with once in awhile was an older lab, his type of training is to ignore other dogs or any other animals for that matter, although in class he was around at least 10 other dogs, but not allowed to "play", he has a couple friends that he greets when he see`s them but no playing, Max is one of the most confident GSD`s you would ever meet, Max meet his brother last night for the first time since he left the little, after the initial sniffing he ignored him

i have read where socializing seems to be important, I have seen for myself over the years where it is not important, and do not see the reason a dog has to have friends to "play" with

an occasional romp for Cisco and his friend, i dont see why not

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

That's how my Sam is, he may (or may not) want to give the other dog a sniff, but after that, he couldn't care less about the other dog.

Carolina Johnson

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Crowned Member

You know I honestly dont understand why people dont believe that animals like or need other animal companions. I mean sure some dogs dont like other dogs but all of my friends dogs enjoy the company of other dogs and cats.

2 of my 3 cats are the best of friends. They clean each other, lay by each other, run around with each other and wrestle each other. My GSD loves to play with "his" kitten. He licks her and wrestles with her and plays hide and seek with her.

My dog loves to play chase with other dogs, he loves to play tug-o-war with other dogs, he likes to wrestle with other dogs. He listens very well even when other dogs are around. He knows when it's time to play and when it's time to be serious and he is NOT a working dog. My yard is not fenced in, he will not leave the yard if he sees another dog. He cannot play with the dog until it is in my yard and I say that it is ok. He completely understands.

When I see my friends 2 Min Pin's together, they are like little lovers. Watching them play together is pure enjoyment.

Dogs play with other dogs in a way that we humans can not play with them. We cannot keep up with them when they run and they have alot more energy than we do, we do not wrestle with our dogs like other dogs do (well I dont at least)

I truly believe that most dogs enjoy the company of other dogs, I feel bad for dogs that like other dogs but do not live with other dogs.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It really depends on the dog, specially dogs with high drive and rather play with you than with other dogs. For example Cisco and this other puppy. We have been taking them swimming almost every day together... Cisco LOVES to fetch sticks or whatever I throw for him in the water, he just loves it, you can see it in his eyes! All you have to do is show him a stick and you have his undivided attention. This other puppy on the other hand, could not care less about the stick, she is so focused on Cisco/other dogs. Every time I threw a stick for Cisco, he would immediately jump in the water and went to fetch the stick, this other puppy would wait for him to came back and when he was close she would jump him, every single time! No more, sorry. I just don't think this is good to let it keep happening when you have high hopes for this pup as a working dog.

Carolina Johnson

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 AM

Hey Carolina!

The first weeks- until about 12-16 weeks, when I get a puppy I do let them meet and socialize with other puppies and dogs that are outside our home. After a couple of weeks (providing there were no issues that I feel I need to work on) I restrict off lead interaction to my own personal dogs. I do still allow them to do a *quick* sniff when we are out, but I try to avoid playing in the aisles.

With my own dogs at home I introduce the puppy to everyone individually and then as a group. But around 4/5 months I cut a lot of that too. For example. Tag cannot go out now with Cade. They are too close together in age and too buddy-buddy. Do they play well, Yes. Almost too well...Tag forgets I am there. Tag also has a tendency to be a brat, and Argos lets him so I don't put them out together either. I want Tag to learn appropriate manners so he can be social with dogs...so I put him out with Ike or Anka. They don't tolerate rudeness, but are pretty indifferent to him and don't play. So it's sort of like being out with a dog without really being out with a dog if that makes sense?

Another thing that I like to do is play with the pup while another dog is around, to help them learn to tune out another dog and focus on me. If DH is home I'll have him play with his dog. Training is also a good opportunity for this.

And that's not to say sometimes I don't allow the occasional romp either. I do. But it's not daily. If you watch you can see when they start to value the time with the dogs too much...and then you have to eliminate it and step up fun with people.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Knighted Member

How do you feel about training around another GSD that's about 6 months older? Letting them hang out together and play AFTER training?

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yes, I don't mind the training around other dogs, just as long as they are not interacting. Play after trainig, maybe but only occasionally I would say.

Carolina Johnson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page