First time at a schutzhund club. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

First time at a schutzhund club.

Michelle (schHGSD) invited us out to her schutzhund club and it was fun. My husband and I had never been to a schutzhund club before, so neither had Godric. We have no idea what we're supposed to be doing, haha. She took this video last week for us. (That's her you hear at the end.) It didn't even occur to me to take a video. If he ends up doing well, someday we can be like, "Awww... look, this was him his first day." Like the first day of school, haha.

Awww, look at my tiny little goober.

He said he definitely has the drives for it. We went again this weekend, but he didn't bark at the rag, he just whined and got distracted. This week, he did say that Godric has a good bite/grip, and that he immediately drops all of his weight after biting.

I don't know much about schutzhund, and I don't know what's good or what they're looking for unless someone tells me, haha. But it's fun learning. I honestly never knew how many traits are really bred into dogs. I always thought most of it was training. The gunshots don't bother him, but I don't know about cracking a whip near him. How do you practice that at home, or when should you practice that? I kinda think he'd let go and try to bite the whip instead, haha. But he's a puppy, so he wants to bite anything that moves or especially if it makes noise. I only ask because I saw videos of pups his age playing tug with people cracking a whip next to them.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Last edited by blackviolet; 08-02-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:47 PM

too cool!

Being a new GSD owner - I'm not familiar with Schutzhund. What is it all about?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Knighted Member

I would not mess with the whip - and definitely not at home. Just keep taking him to the club. Ask them if you can tie Godric out somewhere to watch protection. It's a great way to "train" the pups without training them and he will get to hear plenty of whip cracking and other loud noises that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

I was just curious about the whip thing, just to see if the sound distracted him or not. You don't practie playing tug with him with loud noises like that at home? Okay. I didn't know if you were supposed to or not, and just now thought to ask about it.

They let us sit and watch protection. He's very interested, but mostly just because he wants to get to the other dogs. After he's been there about 15-20 mins, some of the excitement wears off, and he mellows out and he'll be good and sit and watch... until they run. Then he goes nuts, yowling and whining and pulling at his collar to go with them.

I swear, he'll bark his head off at the other dogs (until they meet or play with him), but not at the rag, haha.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka09 View Post
Being a new GSD owner - I'm not familiar with Schutzhund. What is it all about?
This is from the United Schutzhund Clubs of America's website:

What Is Schutzhund?

The simple answer is, it's one of the most fun things you can do with your dog. It takes time and commitment to get the title, but there's no other dog sport like it.

"What's there to dominate when your dog is well trained and it does what you ask??" - DoggieDad
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackviolet View Post
You don't practie playing tug with him with loud noises like that at home? Okay. I didn't know if you were supposed to or not, and just now thought to ask about it.
I do but first just focus on getting the pup to tug really well with the helper and the then work on getting the pup to "activate" the rag/helper instead of having to be "activated" by a moving rag. Get to the point where the rag can be "dead" and the pup is still barking, lunging at it to get it moving. The thing about the whip is you don't particular want the pup to get too "aware" of it, that is, you don't want the pup to look at it as something he needs to keep in an eye on. Eventually he should just look at the whip/stick as part of the helper's body. So in the beginning I would not do anything to draw attention to it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Crowned Member

Very good! Looks like he definitely has it in him.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackviolet View Post
I was just curious about the whip thing, just to see if the sound distracted him or not. You don't practie playing tug with him with loud noises like that at home? Okay. I didn't know if you were supposed to or not, and just now thought to ask about it.
Each person does things differently, the most important thing is to be on board with your helper because you guys are the ones that know the dog and how it should be worked. Our helper always says he gets one day a week to fix what the owner spent six days messing up, when there's an owner that does way too much at home with a puppy. You don't really have to do any kind of bitework stuff at home. I always play and play tug with my dogs but it is more for fun and rewards, I am *not* trying to simulate the bitework done with the helper. The relationship is very different, at least for my dog. When he was younger he worked mostly in defense, not in prey, and that is not something I can or should do at home. Also if you do the ragwork stuff incorrectly you can be encouraging the wrong type of biting and gripping or giving the bites at the wrong time if you can't read the dog's arousal. If you're not sure, it's best left to the helper or see if he suggests anything to work on at home.

It is an excellent idea to socialize the dog in general, included loud noises, new places, strange surfaces, different smells, etc. It doesn't need to be in the context of ragwork.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, we've been working on socializing him, but it's hard when he hasn't had all of his shots. We've gone to Lowes and Home Depot and stood outside of a grocery store (and he just fell asleep), we take him to my mom's and MIL's house, and to schutzhund.After he's had his shots, we can take him to the park and stuff.

They told us to practice some ragwork at home, but he never barks at the rag for us. I'm not sure what we're doing wrong.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Crowned Member

Do you backtie him/hold him back while someone else teases him up with the string/rag? You have to really work up the pup sometimes. Karlo was a barker from the get go.
If he lets out a bark reward him with it, and play a bit of tug, making sure his bite is deep on the rag. This is easy to do by letting him "counter" on the rag(he'll naturally try to readjust his grip stronger).
Some dogs just aren't vocal. Karlo was a barker from the get go...and still barks at his toys to bring them alive.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page