Chilling an ADD dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Chilling an ADD dog

Problem: High drive and very compliant dog. What's the problem, you ask? Cues tries to complete every command at light speed. She will get going so fast, that she just doesn't hear what I'm telling her to do. I might tell her to sitz and she will THROW herself on the ground in a platz. Or the other way around. She does know these words, but she anticipates and just doesn't hear me. It's a little hard to correct her, because she does it with such gusto. I just say no and put her back in the original position to have another go at it. It can sometimes take 2-3 tries until she really starts to listen to what I'm asking her to do. I'm working on out of motion exercises now. I'm keeping it to the sitz out of motion, because I know adding the platz at this time will really not be good. That's pretty much my only problem with her. Her heeling is great. I've tried to just use food to keep her at a lower drive, but she is still very fast and hectic. Any ideas on how to get this uber willing to please dog to slow down and THINK!

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Crowned Member

I would do some heavy exercise/tug, agility or fetch before beginning the obedience session. Put her up in between so she can decompress.
I know a couple dogs who are leaky and the handler mixes up the obedience with some fun=food or tug whatever to keep focus.
Cues is still a pup so she does get a bit of a pass due to her maturity level, IMO.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Jane, what do you mean by leaky?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Crowned Member

Whining & just unable to contain that energy during obedience time. It carries over to the other phases as well.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Thanks.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Elite Member

I have the similar issues with Bison. Have tried several things with varying degrees of success. I would really encourage you to work on discipline and focus. In hind sight, I think those were my biggest mistakes with Bison.

Here are a couple things you could try...

1. Be conscious of behavior around home. Practice nothing in life is free and do not allow drive leak. Ask for a sit or down before eating, potty, walks... If she whines, doesn't settle... no reward. Wait for her to calm. If she doesn't walk away.
2. Work on focus. Eye contact=reward then continue to add more and more time. One recent rainy club day, we did our OB training in the garage where all those who were not working dogs were hanging out. All we worked on was focus/treat, focus/treat...
3. Use a ball on a rope and move it quickly kicking in drive. Hold the ball still ask for a sit as soon as she does and is settled, reward. The point being the controlled drive. Learning, "I can be in drive without being a maniac."
4. Consider going to an indoor obedience class. This made the biggest difference for us. Being exposed to a TON of distractions in a tight space week after week has really helped him tune out distratctions.
5. As you progress, get in as many venues as you can where you can work on focus. Just make sure you know you can be successful before you go there. Don't set yourself up for failure. In addition to the indoor OB class, we have done a Rally event, agility class, parades, pet stores, art fairs... at each location work on focus ask for basic commands. Reward only controlled behaviors.
6. Finally, and most importantly, the one of the things I am currently working on. Be conscious of the energy you are sending out. Are you fidgeting with your leash? Speaking fast? Too exciting with your voice or movements? Getting frustrated? My recent instructions at our club is to work on "zen handler".

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:41 PM

This is a dog I would highly recommend "The Game" to. Ivan Balavonov's method. Its so high energy that the dog has to think in high energy state to get the reward. If the dog does not perform the task correctly, then the only punishment it to withhold the reward (tug) and start the game again. His DVDs explain it rather clearly. I wish you luck with this high drive girl!

Jerry Lee vom Mandalyn-GSD-CGC, CD, PSA PDC
Nassors The Saints Silence-Dobe-CGC, PSA I HIT, IPO IA
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for the replies. It turns out that maybe I don't have a problem at all. Someone at training suggested to just stop with the "puppy push ups". The rapid commands was loading her up and confusing her. So, I went out and did a bit of heeling and asked for a sitz out of motion. She was perfect. Then I did some more heeling and asked for a platz out of motion for the first time. She was perfect again. So, I'll see if her confusion comes back over the next few weeks, but it does seem that over loading her was the problem.

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page