So what ya'll think? (todays training) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

So what ya'll think? (todays training)

I know she is still to passive and we need to work on that. I know the helper is very old but I think it is amazing that he's still doing it with his 78 years.

I've also talked to my helper about whether or not he is going to quit. He will quit in August so I am in need of a new place. I guess I should follow my parents advise and go to the helper they suggested to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
I know she is still to passive and we need to work on that. I know the helper is very old but I think it is amazing that he's still doing it with his 78 years.
GOD BLESS HIM! He is a of a man. I am 48, worked four dogs in the heat today, and thought I was gonna die. I am so grateful our primary club Helper is a young virile athletic man!

As for your dog, just take your time building her confidence......from the video, it looks like you folks had a great day, just like me. Outside in the fresh air, working your dog, enjoying a day of training....is there anything any better?

Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
I know the helper is very old but I think it is amazing that he's still doing it with his 78 years
It really is amazing and he looks great for a 78 year old man. Good for him.

My helper moves like he does half the time and he is only 26! I have a box of Snickers set aside. I am hoping that will help. Maybe he is reading this. Hi Betty!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Crowned Member

Hats off to this Gentleman. I'm 57 and worked three dogs today at 8 am this morning and it was already 86 degrees and I'm definitely not as bushy tailed as I use to be. Thank God our thirty and forty year old helpers were there. Soak up all the knowledge he can give you!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Crowned Member

Would your helper do training the helper seminars when he finally decides to stop catching dogs Mrs. K? He should, what a gem I bet he is! Bring him along with you when you move to the US

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I remember my mom saying that he's written a book. I have to ask about that and I know that he's been to the US four times to give Seminars but that's a good while ago.

I wished he'd continue. I know he'll be working in the new helper but he said that once the new president will take over he will no longer go to the dog club because he doesn't want to interfere and that it is time to retire. It's going to be a sad day because there are some people in the club that are going to quit with him.

The new president is going to be a boxer lady and I don't think some of the Shepherd people like that. So once he's leaving, they are leaving too.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Knighted Member

Mrs K,
What is his name please?

Anne

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Kurt Mueller, that name is like John Scott or Michael Miller... there are milions of Kurt Muellers. I've tried googling him. It's almost impossible to find anything about him, except for the SV registry where he's registered as the president of the club. I'll try to find out what kind of book that is.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Elite Member

dog needs more confidence, the long bite in the begining wasnt impressive and i would have liked to see more commitment.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Knighted Member

This is a training question and not a criticism of the helper: at what age do you guys send the pup out by himself for a "long" bite like that?

Right now I go to one club (where Ike trains - so that's our main club) and do some decoy work on the side for other club (Ring/PSA stuff). At my main SchH club, we don't "send" the dog out for a bite until he is 14-16 months old and even then it's done first with only a 5 yards backup bite and if they like what they see, then they will gradually increase the distance. Up until then all bites are done with the dog restrained (handler as post) and the helper goes in and gives the dog a bite after some agitation and drive switching work. At the other club, the guys will regular send the young dogs out for a bite (even little pups just biting the rag - they will send them out for a "long bite" on the rag).

Just wondering what other people do with their puppy bitework.

Last edited by Jason L; 07-29-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page