How do you start Schutzhund? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

How do you start Schutzhund?

I was trying to find out some local information but there nearest club seems to be 2 hours away. I was going to call the breeder and see if he knows but I figured I would ask on here also. I am not a 100% if I am going to do it, I want to get more information first. I decided not to go with the search and rescue for several reason so I thought maybe this would be a good alternative and a good way to test Baron and keep him active. Any suggestions? Ideas? I don't know a lot about it yet so I need advice to see if it is a good idea and the correct way to do it if it is a good choice.

Thanks!!!

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Crowned Member

If the nearest club is 2 hours away, go there and see if one of the members is closer to you that may be willing mentor you in the foundation training if the drive to club is too much.
Many clubs are a long drive and to find a good club, you may have to go even further.
I wish you and Baron luck!!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
If the nearest club is 2 hours away, go there and see if one of the members is closer to you that may be willing mentor you in the foundation training if the drive to club is too much.
Many clubs are a long drive and to find a good club, you may have to go even further.
I wish you and Baron luck!!
That is great advice! Thank you! I never even thought of doing something like that. I call the breeder on monday and I think that will be my next phone call!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Crowned Member

Head to the closet club and watch their training, watch some trials (if there are any near you)and talk to club members and then have your dog evaluated.

We do quite a bit of work here in town although my club is 1.5 hours away. There are a few club members who are close to me and since I am a student and work and the others who have been doing this 20+ years don't like driving that far we have a (what we call) "fake training yard" in town we use a lot. We travel the distance once per week but train twice per week.

I would definitely start by making contacts at the club of your choice though.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

ok I don't know how or why it didn't pop up in my previous searches but I just found a club 30 mins from my house AND it looks like Baron's dad (not a look a like but the actual dog) goes there! I am completely shocked right now! lol. I am going to call on monday and find out more!

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Crowned Member

Exciting!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

That's like the club in Windsor, it's 20 minutes (at the most) from my Dad's place!

I wish I still lived there so I could train so close to home.. lol.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
Head to the closet club and watch their training, watch some trials (if there are any near you)and talk to club members and then have your dog evaluated.
What do they do to evaluate your dog?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
Exciting!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

That's like the club in Windsor, it's 20 minutes (at the most) from my Dad's place!

I wish I still lived there so I could train so close to home.. lol.
Thanks! I will hopefully know something monday!

I have to say it was really neat to look through pics of Baron's daddy on the site and their facebook!

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:20 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackviolet View Post
What do they do to evaluate your dog?
They tie it to a tree and poke it with a stick!

Nah!!! Just kidding!!

They evaluate confidence in new situations and prey drive. They will watch to see how your dog reacts in a new situation and around new people. They will see if he wants to engage and play with strangers. They will bring out a tug on a line and flip it around and see how badly the dog tries to catch it.

Different clubs and helpers will do different things, but basically they will be looking for a solid dog, with good nerve, good drives, and social confidence.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 PM

Oh, then that's what they were doing with Godric yesterday. Cool. They had the tug on the line and had my husband hold his leash, and played with it just out of his reach, and he chased it some, then barked or whined at it, haha.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page