Ausdauerprüfung (AD) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ausdauerprüfung (AD)

I have read this article several times and it seems to have good information. Can't seem to find others on conditioning for the AD. Does anyone else know of other sources?

SiriusDog.com - Conditioning for the Ausdauerprfung (AD)

Anyone relate how they approach it?

Do you use a harness? What kind?

I haven't been on a bike in over 25 years. Yikes! Gotta to say I already love the bike I bought. It is great for the 50+ rider. The pedals are more out in front of you and you can sit back comfortably on the cushie seat. With the added space between handle bars and seat and the low step feature, it is a very "bailable" bike. A big consideration I had was being able to touch the ground and get off fast. It has 7 speeds as I thought 21 would confound me. The low gear is super low and works great on hills. Mine is quite pink. I think Hogan will look good next to a pink bike!

Trek Bikes | Bikes | Bike Path | Pure Lowstep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 02:56 PM

This is pretty much the program I used earlier this year for my Rottie. Worked fine for us. I used used a furr-saver.

Biggest suggestion is too make sure the pads are conditioned. If you have a dog who spends most of their time on carpet and nothing outside but grass the pads aren't going to be able to take a lot of asphalt/concrete roads.

Keith Jenkins
Excalibur vom Herrschaft SchH3,FH,StP.3,BH,TD
Breitta v. Schwarzen Kobold BH,TR1
Argus von der Aunkst SchH3,BH,AD
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

When I started conditioning myself and Keeta for the AD, I pretty much went about the same way as the article describes. I just went by some general feel as to what I needed to do, and it turns out to be almost the same as the link. I only once did the whole 20 km in training, out of curiousity, but agree that it should not be neccessary to train that distance - it only puts more wear and tear on dog and person alike.

I hadn't bicycled in well over 10 years when I started, and at first, even a five minute ride was killing me!! So I did a few rides just on my own to get used to being on a bike again before taking my dog with me. You should be fine: I'm a middle-aged, overweight, sedentary office-worker, and had no issues with the conditioning. (Cute bike by the way!!! I'm jealous!)

I trained with a prong collar and a leash - but I would not reccommend this for most people - you really have to know your dog, and that is what I needed for mine.

A few people in my club decided to do the AD at the last minute. They got a Springer and away they went, no issues or problems at all. I'm not sure if harnesses are allowed - can't remember now if anyone used one. We all completed the course and had a great time. I had asked the judge about acceptable collars, he said only fursavers are allowed.

I made of point of running Keeta on a variety of surfaces when I was conditioning her: pavement, grass, dirt roads, gravel shoulders - she did fine with it and did not have any issues with bleeding paws.

One thing I would recommend is to get a basic bicycle computer to measure your speed and distance - it will help a lot in your conditioning program.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Crowned Member

I'm working on Nikon right now. Conditioning is not really the issue, but his feet. If we did the AD last weekend with the BH, we would have been on trouble b/c it was paved. He lives on carpet and grass.

Right now I use a prong and a leash. Our first sessions were me walking the bike, training him to heel on the RIGHT side and never cross in front of the wheel. We're still working on that control aspect and when I want to focus on riding, I tie a ball to the water bottle holder and then he heels perfectly to the pedal on the right.

I'm also shopping for a bike since mine was stolen. Right now I'm borrowing one but it's a mountain bike and I prefer a hybrid/commuter bike. My stolen one was a hybrid with street-like tires and the only surface I ever had trouble on was dry sand, otherwise it still held up on grass, gravel, and reasonable trails.

I rode this bike yesterday and it felt great, lightweight, easy to bail (middle bar doesn't touch my crotch). I do want a good commuting bike for riding other than road working dogs.
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Sportiva-Mens-Road-Bike/dp/B001D2ROLM

Last edited by Liesje; 07-06-2010 at 03:25 PM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for the thread....great info. I have been preping my wife for a new bike and springer leash attachment. She rolls her eyes and says, "you don't even have the puppy yet, slow down Buckaroo!" LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

Those kind of bikes are called "crank forward" bikes because the crank if forward of the seat post. I'd love a 3 wheel recombent, myself.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

This is a similar program to what I followed. On M and W I would do shorter distances, but generally added in sprints. On Friday I built up distance at a steady pace. I never went over 6.5 miles and during the AD she actually picked up speed during the last 2.5 miles of the ride. The judge was very impressed with her conditioning.

Around here I bike mostly on gravel and the gravel on the sides of the few paved roads I go down. Most paved roads have little edge and a 55mph speed limit. I don't go far on these roads. I just chose an AD where the dog would not be on much pavement.

I had an older 10 speed that I used for years. Then last year I bought a light weight mountain bike for road riding and mountain biking. 21 speeds and, while I don't use anything, but the upper 3 speeds on the roads I do use many of the others on the trails. I use a Springer and I can really tell the difference between my older heavy bike and this light weight bike. I feel the dog a lot more.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How did you like the Springer? I talked with bike guy at the shop and he said he had put one on a bike. The guy came back a week later and begged him to take it off! I am not sure what the dog situation was there. Did you start the dogs on a the springer?
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:23 PM

We bike the dogs (Malinois) with a Happy Dog. LOVE the Happy Dog over the Springer.

We did one AD with a GSD. Conditioning was for the pads, and we did little because we have sandpaper for roads up here. Where we did the AD was nice and soft dirt.

Bike is important. But don't look at me, I don't think I can RIDE for 12 miles. lol

Michelle K.
--------------
Torro v Lordon Haus (GSD) SchH3 IPO3 OFA HOT (RIP)
Nico van Arek (Mal) SchH3 OFA HOT (Retired)
Chuligan pod Cvilinem (Mal)
Krafts Bijoou (Mal)
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page