Where do you learn how to train for Schutzhund - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Where do you learn how to train for Schutzhund

I'm Very interested in this sport and training for PSD. I would rather train my dog myself but how do I train me lol. I can do basic obedience and would like to learn more. I know a few of you here teach this how did you learn. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 08:13 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Schutzhund is not something one can train on their own. You need to work with a club. You will find that training methods and end goals, even in obedience, are different in a Schutzhund dog than in many other venues, so the help and input of a club is invaluable.

For the protection phase of Schutzhund, you absolutely have to have a dog of the right temperament and nerve, and work with knowledgeable and experienced trainers.

So the first step is to find a Schutzhund club in your area and contact them, and if you already have a dog, have your dog evaluated for suitability. If you do not have a dog, contact your Schutzhund club anyways, and they can recommend breeders.

Be aware that training in Schutzhund is a HUGE time commitment. I don't know if there are Schutzhund/PSD (personal service dog?) cross-trained dogs out there, but that would be a big undertaking. And if you want a dog that can do both, then you will have to make sure that you have a rock-solid dog of impecable nerve and temperament with the appropriate energy levels and drives for this, but it is expecting a LOT from any dog (to train and work in both Schutzhund and be a PSD, not about having the impecable nerve part, as that should be a given in a well-bred working dog).

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

1. YOU need to make sure YOU are willing to put in the time and training required for the upmost control in both areas.

2. You need the right dog with extremely solid nerves, an incorruptible character plus the right drives to want to do the work.

3. You need a club or training group that is familiar with and has success training in both areas.

With all three this is very possible and also not that unusual, at least with the groups I have trained with over the years.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Psd I meant for Police service dog. My husband works at a small Dept and they will not buy a dog but will pay us if we train 1 and use it lol. I,m mainly interested in training search ( narcotics and contraband) and some protection maybe not as much as Schutzhund requires. I have not picked out a puppy Im still looking around we have 3 Shepherds now and we also have small children, so we are still debating on how far into protection we want to go and how safe it is for the kids. We are set on training for search though. Training time is not a major problem Im a stay at home mom and my husband works 15 days a month (broke apart swing shift) We also have a lot of family support which leaves me able to spend a good bit of times with our dogs when needed. My oldest son helps with "play time" just to help burn energy his and theirs lol. My only problem is that we live 2 hours from any major city and we are in a small DEAD town lol. And the nearest trainers Ive found are 2 hrs away, So I'm kind of thinking the clubs/groups will be about that. I wouldn't mind driving that 1-2 times a month but I,m not sure how many trips I would need to make how often. I will try to find some clubs and see if there is anything closer. I know the training for Schutzhund vs Police work has some differences can they do both or does it start to be confusing to them at a point? Anyway thanks for responses.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Elite Member

I don't remeber the name of the post but there was a young girl maybe 9 or so who was working her GSD in ShcH they posted pics and a link it was awsome to see a dog like that do the bidding of his/her girl. a dog in ShcH should be able to Turn it On and Off when the need calls for it. I woould like to do ShcH with my girl but I think she's to skittish to go very far.

~Christen
REBEL~PIT BULL
BATISTA~SHAR PEI
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly View Post
.....the nearest trainers Ive found are 2 hrs away.
That is pretty normal. I would say the majoirty of folks who train in SchH drive 1 to 2 hours one way a couple of times a week. In addition to meeting with a club a couple of times a week, you'd have to perform independent training at least a couple of times a week.

I would say about 20 hours/week plus drive time to club would be a modest to resonable plan/schedule for training.

This is all predicated on having an appropriate dog with solid nerve and drive for the work.

BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Crowned Member

If you do a search on clubs near you(2-3 hours) you may get a contact number or e-mail to get you in touch with someone who trains on a regular basis, and may mentor you. I'd try this way first, you may have someone in your area that you don't know or could put you in touch with a local. Though the drug detection is different and your Dh's dept can hook you up with contacts that way. Even if it comes out of pocket, if this is something you really want to do, it would be doable. Who did they use before, or what close cities can help you as far as where they may have had their K9's trained? Many times it is a sendaway type training and then the handler will train w/ the trainers for more one on one type.
I'm lucky that there are a few local clubs(1hr drive) but truely would love to train with one that is 2 hrs away. Sometimes that drive is worth the effort!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-04-2010 at 05:23 PM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
1. YOU need to make sure YOU are willing to put in the time and training required for the upmost control in both areas.

2. You need the right dog with extremely solid nerves, an incorruptible character plus the right drives to want to do the work.

3. You need a club or training group that is familiar with and has success training in both areas.

With all three this is very possible and also not that unusual, at least with the groups I have trained with over the years.
All three are MUST HAVEs - especially for newcomers.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristenHolden View Post
I don't remeber the name of the post but there was a young girl maybe 9 or so who was working her GSD in ShcH they posted pics and a link it was awsome to see a dog like that do the bidding of his/her girl. a dog in ShcH should be able to Turn it On and Off when the need calls for it. I woould like to do ShcH with my girl but I think she's to skittish to go very far.
I believe her name is Samantha (if we're talking about the same person). She is 7 years old, and very inspiring!

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to scottmac019 Send a message via MSN to scottmac019 Send a message via Yahoo to scottmac019
that was quite impressive. I visited a local Schutzhund club to check it out. While I would love to have my Kaiser do Schutzhund I didn't like that they don't let the dogs socialize. Is this normal? Each dog was left in a vehicle until it was time for their trainer to work with them. I wasn't too thrilled with that. 10 minutes of work and then the dog would be in the vehicle for quite some time.

Kaiser GSD born 01-06-2010
Lucky Jack Russell 4 yrs old
Bo Jack Russell 3yrs old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page