Noob questions and Schutzhund - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Noob questions and Schutzhund

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and I'm sure there is a more apropriate place for my post but I really don't know which forum it would fit in. We don't have a gsd yet and it will be quite a while before we do so at this point we are planning and learing what we can.

We are interested in Schutzhund training but I'm completely lost on it, I know it consists of three parts obedience, tracking and protection work. I don't however, understand how to get started. What age to get started, and I don't understand if you're suppose to go to a regular obedience trainer and start off there-but doesn't Schutzhund have its own commands so wouldn't you have to retrain the dog?

I have found a couple semi local clubs but from what I read it sounds like they seem to be very experienced people working towards titles. Is that where you go to start and learn? I am not even sure it will be for us but I want to find out what I can about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 10:08 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Hopefully this will get moved down to the Schutzhund section so you'll get tons more replies.

My understanding is you find a local club that fits your style, go to some meet ups to meet eveyone, then join up ASAP to learn from others, watch them, and then take your pup so you can start up too!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 AM
The Italian One

You train all three phases, including obedience with the Schutzhund club.

I'd start by contacting one (or all) of those clubs and scheduling a visit. I go to a club every week even though I'm not training a dog currently. It's a great way to learn about Schutzhund.

Home of Sundance, Butch & Wyatt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Knighted Member

I would start by visiting some of the clubs near you, talk to the people there, watch them train, and if there is a club you like in particular, ask them if you can come and watch on a regular basis. That's the best way to learn about the sport. Just go and watch for a few months.

Since you don't have a dog yet, you will want to get as much help as you can finding the right pup (or a young dog if you decide to go that route). That's why it is a good idea to get to know the people at the club first because they can point you in the right direction - and believe me - you are going to need help in that department (I say this as a fellow newbie). Getting the right dog or a good pup will make everything so much easier for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page