New Trainer, good results - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

New Trainer, good results

First of all I am putting this here because with this new trainer, we are training SchH, just not in a Club right now. If this post needs to be moved, please feel free.

Yesterday I took Nadia to a new trainer. He used to be the helper at the SchH club I tried last year. He now gives training at the park we go to, for donations only

I stopped going to SchH right after I got Nadia(for other reasons) so I had never laid a track for her. But yesterday I decided why not?! So Nadia got to try her 1st ever track. She seemed to miss the right footsteps, but got most of the left footsteps. She wanted to charge ahead rather than to take her time, so I had to slow her down quite a bit. Nadia is one to always be aware of her surroundings, so she lifted her nose out of the track several times to check her surroundings too. Also, this was not plush green grass but more of what I would call crab grass, or more weedy than what we would like for tracking, especially for beginners.

When I first took her out on the field with the trainer for OB, he knelt down to her level to meet her. He let her smell his hand, and was very gentle when petting her...slow and deliberate and she laid down next to him to let him scratch her tummy

Then I tried to work on her heel with treats. That didn't work so great(not as food motivated as I hoped) so I went to the tug. Still not as motivated. Then I switched to the tug with a piece of rope on it that I use like you all do the bite rag, basically. She likes that because she can chase it, catch it, etc.THAT got her attention and then things were awesome.

I got some good focused heeling out of her, good front sits. She also had the opportunity to show off her excellent downs and leave its.

The trainer tried to play tug(the 1st tug) with her a little and she showed him her nipping/air snapping behavior that we are there for. She is not fond of anyone touching her toys or of fast movement by strangers. As we were beginning the heel work, he tried to take her leash and step away from me, about three steps and she was not having that either.

At the end of our training session, the trainer said that she is not as bad as I have always thought, and that her nipping can be trained out of her. He also said that it might be something I have to always be aware of, but that she will get better as she begins to trust nothing bad will happen to her. He said he likes her bond with me, her trust in me and her sparkly white teeth

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
At the end of our training session, the trainer said that she is not as bad as I have always thought, and that her nipping can be trained out of her. He also said that it might be something I have to always be aware of, but that she will get better as she begins to trust nothing bad will happen to her. He said he likes her bond with me, her trust in me and her sparkly white teeth
Great news, keep up the good work!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Crowned Member

The right trainer, that is a good match for you and your dog, is worth their weight in gold!

Betty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty101 View Post
The right trainer, that is a good match for you and your dog, is worth their weight in gold!
Well said!

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page