Never heard of Sch, but def interested... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Never heard of Sch, but def interested...

I have a fairly large male GSD who will turn 1 next month and am definitely interested in Schutzhund training; I just don't know anything about it except for what I've read here. He already knows basic commands like sit, down, stay, etc... But I really would like to do a lot more. Plus breeding might be in line for him down the road and from what I've gathered it helps for him to have that kind of knowledge and skill set along with a clean bill of health. I found a website for a group here in Austin but I don't even know if they still exist...so any advice? Questions? Concerns? Comments? Anything would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 02:32 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I don't know of any clubs in Texas, but if you interested in ScH, the first thing you should do is find a club and take your dog and have him evaluated for drive and suitability. Don't worry too much about how much obedience he knows or does not know - that can all be worked out during training. Having a desire to play, to chase a ball, to engage a stranger, to grab and tug, to show confidence in new places and new environments - these things are more important for a suitable Schutzhund candidate.

The best thing you can do for him to prepare him if you are interested in training is to build his confidence by a lot of positive interactions and lots of fun crazy ball and tug play.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeSamson View Post
I found a website for a group here in Austin but I don't even know if they still exist...so any advice?
There are some great trainers in Austin. If the club your looking at has Dave Kroyer or Mark Natinski (sp) you will be off to a pretty good start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 03:40 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Bunch of links..

South Central Region

DFW Texas Schutzhund groups - German shepherd dog

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 PM

I would find a club in your area and go and watch for a couple days and if you are still wanting to do Schutzhund then take the dog and have him eveluated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page