Cullen's Schutzhund training updates - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
Cullen's Schutzhund training updates

So, Cullen is 5 1/2 months, and just now done losing all of the pupper teeth. He's not much of a biter.. but here's his training updates.

Tracking - He is getting better every week. Tracking about 30-35 paces without much help ( only the occasional tap to keep him from passing a step) but mostly doing every step on his own, and only actually picking up half the hot dogs!!! We are still working on dirt tracks.. I think we might actually start doing evening tracks at the beach on the sand,,, that seem ok? Also, his transition to the toy at the end is getting WAY better.. actually picking up, shaking, and trotting off proudly!!!

OB - We are working on " focus " training with him. I think he is going through his terrible twos. He has the bit and hold, no chewing, and a bit of a better drive now than before... but he ignores me when told to Sitz or Platz or even Heir... he's being a butt!!!! LOL... but they love his toy grib...

Protection - He graduated from " puppy circle" before the others, though he wasn't much for biting at the burlap and tugs ... too much attention on the other pups... but now our trainer is doing more 1-on-1 time.... he is doing some teasing from the blind, teaching the "pass auf" and the " laut".. he's doing good, except the reward for the barking when he is supposed to.. is tug, and he just ignores it and wants to play with Randy!

suggestions are always helpful.. our Club Founder says he sees Cullen going all the way, and are very encouraging ... and they have NO problem telling someone their dog just doesn't have it... but i would love some other seasoned people to give tips... we get them at the club, but you never know when something different will help!

~Kristi in Virginia Beach
Mommy to my 8 year old son... and

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 01:34 AM
Crowned Member

Sounds like everything is coming together nicely!

Good job to you and Cullen!

No tips here because I too am a newbie... sounds good. Stark and I are working on similar things right now too. Focus work is becoming better for us finally, it takes work that's for sure. What worked for us, or I should say, what is working for us is some tips I picked up on Michael Ellis's DVD - The Power of Training Dogs with Food. A lot of neat methods to try. Seemed to work with Stark and the club members and our trainer are liking the results so far. Stark is NOT food motivated so this is big for us.

I love hearing about Cullen because it seems like he and Stark are working on a lot of the same things.

Good job and keep having fun!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 AM
HMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBeachFamily View Post
So, think we might actually start doing evening tracks at the beach on the sand,,, that seem ok?

Not a good Idea, if you don't mind me saying. When you go tracking your dog picks up on mainly two things, the scent of your body and the scent of the disturbed ground. Broken Grass, fresh trod soil, snapped twigs that sort of thing that you make as you walk the trail. All these things combined cause a scent tunnel. It is the tunnel that the dog learns to eventually follow, at the moment the smell of the bait you lay is over powering the smell of the tunnel. Soon you will be able to lay less bait and the dog will have to use the scent tunnel to lead him to the next piece of bait. In the distant future the bait gets replaced with articles such as an old comb or a sock things like that, and the dog learns to lay down before them.

By doing a trail in sand your dog is left only with the smell of you, your asking a bit much of him for his age also i wouldn't advise letting the dog get too much sand in it's nose, it irritates them and sends them into sneeze mode. I would stick to short grass where nobody else goes for the time been.

Good luck

ups, Das hat er noch nie gemacht!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Crowned Member

I couldn't imagine tracking a dog on the beach... And what the effects of all the sand going up their noses would do.. Plus I don't think there will ever be a SchH trial where they have tracking in the sand on the beach.. But I could be wrong about that..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Crowned Member

...sand ...beach...sun being out...schutzhund...I should never have participated in the word association on this board...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
LOL I hadn't tried, glad you guys let me know. I won't do the beach. Right now, we do dirt fields mostly, and grass when we can find it around ankle length

Elisabeth... that is awesome.. I will have to look into that video.. thanks!

~Kristi in Virginia Beach
Mommy to my 8 year old son... and

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page