look and learn - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
HMV

look and learn

Even though my pup is in the teething stage I still take her to the schutzhund club and when the other dogs do bite work we wait at the side and watch. My theory is that there is no rules saying you are only allowed to have 2 legs to teach a puppy.

We have been doing this for about a month now, ever since I decided it was time to stop with the flirt and wait for the new teeth (the last of which broke through 2 days ago, yea haa). Anyway, yesterday the helper picked up the sleeve and dragged it by his side as he was about to walk past me on to the field, when my pup ran forward like a bat out of **** and bit the sleeve.

Keeping in mind she has never been near a sleeve or pillow both myself and helper was surprised, although I didn't say anything I was really proud of her, and am now convinced she learns not only what I tell her but instinctively from other dogs.

ups, Das hat er noch nie gemacht!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
That is awesome... I would let Cullen watch others, but he barks his head off at other dogs.. not aggressive, but always over excited

~Kristi in Virginia Beach
Mommy to my 8 year old son... and

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMV View Post
Even though my pup is in the teething stage I still take her to the schutzhund club and when the other dogs do bite work we wait at the side and watch. My theory is that there is no rules saying you are only allowed to have 2 legs to teach a puppy.

We have been doing this for about a month now, ever since I decided it was time to stop with the flirt and wait for the new teeth (the last of which broke through 2 days ago, yea haa). Anyway, yesterday the helper picked up the sleeve and dragged it by his side as he was about to walk past me on to the field, when my pup ran forward like a bat out of **** and bit the sleeve.

Keeping in mind she has never been near a sleeve or pillow both myself and helper was surprised, although I didn't say anything I was really proud of her, and am now convinced she learns not only what I tell her but instinctively from other dogs.
Sorry, newbee here.

At what age should a puppy start bite work? I thought I have read that this shouldnt start until a year old or so??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Master Member

Hi, J.A.T.! Welcome to the board!

My puppies started chasing a rag at 10 weeks. Easy play, not so much tugging back, let them run with it after a few seconds. They started puppy bitework training at about 4-5 months of age. When they started getting their permanent teeth, the game stopped until they were done teething. Then the began their formal training.

"What's there to dominate when your dog is well trained and it does what you ask??" - DoggieDad
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunther's Dad View Post
Hi, J.A.T.! Welcome to the board!

My puppies started chasing a rag at 10 weeks. Easy play, not so much tugging back, let them run with it after a few seconds. They started puppy bitework training at about 4-5 months of age. When they started getting their permanent teeth, the game stopped until they were done teething. Then the began their formal training.

Thank you Very much Hunters Dad.. I have another 4 weeks...But still have more questions then answers.

Love the Signature by the way!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 PM

I think Diesel was 6 months when we started the foundation work for the protection phase of Schutzhund. We started with a tug then a pillow and then moved onto the sleeve. I think it also depends on the dog, if the dog is ready for the bite work then the trainers will work them. Don't rush your pup, do all your foundation work and make it fun for him and it will pay off in the long run.

HMV - That's great she went after the sleeve. I know there is a great feeling when your dog does something right and catches you off gaurd. I enjoy the ride home thinking how well my pup did and can't wait to tell everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page