Boring Period - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
HMV

Boring Period

My pup has now reached 5 months old, no point in doing any bite work because shes teething. Apart from sit and normal house manners I don't do any OB training till shes 9 month old. I take her tracking 3 times a week but with summer on its way finding a field with short grass is getting harder and harder. I will be glad when these new teeth are all there and life gets back to normal. Nothing worse than sitting in the club house watching everbody else.

ups, Das hat er noch nie gemacht!

Last edited by HMV; 05-25-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Banned

Why do you wait for so long to start "Unterordnung"?

I take Indra (4 months old now) to the weekly puppy class at our Club and she already retreats perfectly and even sits straight in front of me. I teach her to look into my eyes and focus on me, she knows the basic commands, sitz, platz, steht and can heel a little bit already.

You don't have to wait until they are 9 months old and if you go tracking so many times a week and have to take a break because you can't find a spot and than start with the Unterordnung.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to ba1614
I am only curious, why at 5months you "..don't do any OB training till shes 9 month old"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Banned

yeah, especially with obedience you can start early...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
HMV

I spend the first 9 months developing trieb. working with the ball and of course beißwurst (what is a beißwurst in English?) Bite sausage ha ha ha that doesn't sound right.

I find once the dog has a high desire for the ball with the willingness and keenness to work for it, it is a lot easier to train and the results come faster. I like her to be a puppy first and try to socialize her every opportunity i have.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Crowned Member

You can work on perchwork training(rear end awareness) https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ork-video.html and focus, recall type exercises.
Are there any large churches or university's nearby that you can track on their grounds?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to ba1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMV View Post
I spend the first 9 months developing trieb. working with the ball and of course beißwurst (what is a beißwurst in English?) Bite sausage ha ha ha that doesn't sound right.

I find once the dog has a high desire for the ball with the willingness and keenness to work for it, it is a lot easier to train and the results come faster. I like her to be a puppy first and try to socialize her every opportunity i have.
Thank you
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 AM
Knighted Member

They are usually crazy for food at that age so I did our obedience with food at that age. Obedience is obedience ... besides it gave us something to do.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

So much easier to be working an adult dog when starting a puppy. You don't feel left out. I mostly hate waiting for them to grow up so we can get serious in our training. I still track and do obedience, but often wait to do a lot of bitework with my young dogs until I feel they are mentally ready.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
HMV

I do bite work from day one, apart from the teething period when its too easy to give the dog a) damage to the new teeth, and b) pain that might hold her back from a clean bite in the future. She already barks when prevented from getting to the flirt as soon as the teeth are there we will move on to the pillow. She can retrieve the ball sit directly in front of my legs and let me remove the ball from her mouth ready for the dumbbells later and we have started to put gentle curves into trails. So it's not as though we aren't getting anywhere. It's just the way I personally prefer to train her.

I don't like doing OB when they are small I find it too easy for both myself and dog to make mistakes, I always think it takes a day to teach a dog a mistake and a month to get it out of them. I like the dog to know whose doing the commands and whose doing the listening when we start OB and non of this sloppy smoochy rubbish she gets now as a puppy..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page