In what language do you call your commands? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

In what language do you call your commands?

Just curious
My dad is German so he'd get a kick out of me talking to the dog in German but is it just personal preference? Or does it vary from club to club?
Would it confuse the dog to know the commands in both languages?
These are all questions I was too embarrassed to ask at the club for fear of looking like an ignorant idiot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Crowned Member

The vast majority of SchH people give their commands in German. Why? I have no idea. It seems like it's acceptable to give commands in any other language than English. As I live in the States and speak English, my dog gets commands in English and I refuse to do the - what I consider silly - German thing.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax's Mom View Post
Just curious
My dad is German so he'd get a kick out of me talking to the dog in German but is it just personal preference? Or does it vary from club to club?
Would it confuse the dog to know the commands in both languages?
These are all questions I was too embarrassed to ask at the club for fear of looking like an ignorant idiot
I trained my dogs in german, they're not super trained or anything amazing, i just dont want other people telling my dogs what to do. I call them good dog in english then say it in german sometimes too...they get it either way and dont get confused at all. Some people may find it dumb or whatever....its just also something fun to do and i learned a bit of a language doing it :-). Plus its funny when a stranger tells my dogs to be quiet and they continue to bark until i tell them to stop. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Crowned Member

When we train in SchH I teach German commands. Others that have Mals in the club do French...some English.
My family members ask for commands in English, Karlo knows both languages. Kacie and Onyx do too, but aren't versed in German as they don't train in the sport~but... I say Platz and they do!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:25 PM

It woudent confuse the dog just be sure the words dont sound too alike. You could teach a dog to sit when you say apple it dosent make a difference
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

Or Pickle to crate up!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Banned

in what language do you call
your commands?

i never call my commands.
i only give them to my dog
and take them from my GF, .

get it, i never call my commands,
call my commands. ok, never mind.

that would be english.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Elite Member

I do the main commands in German. We did this for two reasons. First, because Moose's commands are all in English and it is nice to have them different. Secondly, because I don't speak German in day to day speach, so it is very clear to him when I am giving a command.

As others have mentioned, it doesn't matter what words you use. You teach the dog what the word means.

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
It woudent confuse the dog just be sure the words dont sound too alike. You could teach a dog to sit when you say apple it dosent make a difference
True, but is it accepted on the field?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 11:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to My GSD Send a message via Yahoo to My GSD Send a message via Skype™ to My GSD
I use telepathy, in my dreams as I dont have a dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page