Me being proud.. and a question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
Me being proud.. and a question

So, Cullen just started Schutzhund about 4 weeks ago, and I am so proud of him. Not sure if all trainers do the same, but Cullen is already doing non aged tracks ( with hot dog lol). Saturday he did 25 paces, and he only had to be repointed once, didn't miss a step, though he DID miss hot dogs!!!

Question... What do I do to get him more interested in transitioning from the food to a toy? At home, he wants to PLAY PLAY PLAY, but the last two weeks, not so much. He doesn't do much in puppy circle time, but he's interested more in the obedience part itself. I want to raise his drive, and unsure if teething at this age has something to do with it?

~Kristi in Virginia Beach
Mommy to my 8 year old son... and

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:38 AM

Congratulations on starting an addiction!!

How old is he? Teething can certainly have an impact on playing. In fact, if he's sensitive to it I wouldn't play tug much at all. If when they bite it hurts, you can build a negative association. Also, some dogs just don't come out of the box super drivey. I remember Argos as a puppy. I thought he was a lump...around 5-6 months his drive started to kick in and now I have to work hard on him controlling himself. Sometimes they just need reinforcement and time.

Consequently, I don't really start my dogs in bitework until they are 5-6 months old. I might do a check, and have them by the field but I'm not really training in earnest. Gives them some time to just to be puppies.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
He is 21 weeks this Wednesday, and there has been bleeding.

We don't do any " bitework" just puppy drive play.. if they bite the tug or burlap, they win it, and " play time" can be any toys, but he is just being lazy altogether... growth spurt?

We do tracking, the play, and JUST started working on the proper sitz and platz... and he does great at it. We are hoping the drive comes out, and thankfully have a great treacher who is patient.

~Kristi in Virginia Beach
Mommy to my 8 year old son... and

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Crowned Member

Congrats!!!

Stark (1 year old) and I just started our formal training two weeks ago!

It's sooo much fun, eh?!

Stark was pretty mellow as a young puppy which is why we didn't start training right away, I wanted more drive to come out (also I was attending Grad school and didn't have the time or resources). I have noticed a HUGE difference in the past month or two. His toy and food drives are sky high now and I am totally thrilled. He has always had amazing prey drive but the others really took some time.

I would definitely think it is because of Cullen's teething and possibly a growth spurt.

Just keep doing what you are doing, I am sure Cullen will grow into his drive (does that make sense? Haha..). I also did some drive building with him using toys, by backtieing him (leash anchered to a pole or tree) and teasing him with a flirt pole or ball or even tug, every time he did bite it, he won it. I think time is what he needs though to be honest.

HAVE FUN!!!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 PM

That's great he is doing tracking, don't worry if he misses any of the hot dogs. The key is to control the pace of the dog, don't let him fly trough the track and he will get more of the food. When they are pups they will pull you all the way through the track to get to the end. You will find as it gets hotter that ants will attack the hotdogs and your dog won't like them in his nose. I switched to a product called Redbarn for tracking now that it is warmer. Redbarn is a tube of food that you can cut up into any size pieces and works great for tracking.

I would not worry about going to a toy untill he is older, if food is what works for him then stay with that. If he is teething them stay away from any tugging untill he is done.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Knighted Member

The one advice I hear quite a bit with regard to play is be sure to have other people play with the pup at home. Don't just limit the play to you and the pup.

That, and have fun
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

Why do they tell you to have other people play with the pup?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 10:47 PM

A guess...
Many people start protection out as a game between the helper and the pup. I've seen several older dogs come out to start who will play with their handlers, but not with the helper. HAving multiple people play tug with the dog (even if all you're doing is passing the tug from one person to the next with the pup hanging on) can help the dog learn to be forward adn tug with multiple people.

Although I have to say, most dogs that I've seen unwilling to play with the helper usually seem to have some kind of underlying temperament or drive problem.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Banned

i enjoy reading about how much you
enjoy Cullen.

good luck in Schutzhund and all other training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page