Schutzhund Judging - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Schutzhund Judging

Here is a question. Those of you who have trialed your dogs in SchH. When the judge critiqued your dog in each phase, did what the judge say about your dog surprise you or did you agree with just about everything the judge said? I am basically asking about the comments made concerning temperament shown during each exercise. Some judges will say things like : " I would like to see more temperament during the long down".

What has been your experience?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

Just curious but how much temperment can you show in a long dog?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Crowned Member

I meant down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
.....When the judge critiqued your dog in each phase, did what the judge say about your dog surprise you or did you agree with just about everything the judge said? I am basically asking about the comments made concerning temperament shown during each exercise. .......
I have been surprised by scores a few times (both positive and negative), but for the most part I have agreed with what the judge has seen. Usually when I am surprised it is because I got a better score than I was expecting. Only in one trial did I not like what the judge said about my dog's temperament, but when thinking about it later, on that day, he was correct.

I remember at a regional event a Mal got 95 in protection with a basically perfect performance. The judge said the dog lacked aggression and power in the blind (which he did) and could not "V" the dog because of that. The owner did NOT agree.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Crowned Member

I figured out the answer to my question
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
The owner did NOT agree.

LOL most don't, I really wonder how they make it to that level without gathering the knowledge to see it.

Vandal, for the most part I have agreed, the kind you smile and nod your head. I was out there, I know what my dog did.

I sometimes disagree in protection, depends on the judge and their verdict. Sometimes you go back and watch the video in slow motion and say "needs a fuller grip?? huh??" but not often. In general, I figure I paid my money for one judge's opinion and I got it. It would be rude to dispute it anywhere but in my head.

Michelle K.
--------------
Torro v Lordon Haus (GSD) SchH3 IPO3 OFA HOT (RIP)
Nico van Arek (Mal) SchH3 OFA HOT (Retired)
Chuligan pod Cvilinem (Mal)
Krafts Bijoou (Mal)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchHGSD View Post
LOL most don't, I really wonder how they make it to that level without gathering the knowledge to see it.

Because everybody has a different perspective.

Lets say you breed to the highest standard possible and you only take the best of the best and everything else that can't keep up with your standard has to leave.

What is a bad apple for you might actually be the best of the best for another person. You say "Eh, the dog just doesn't have it!" while the new owner is like "Holy crap... look at that, he's got EVERYTHING!"

For him it's the best dog ever because they've never had a dog like that. So to them it has the potential, it has the aggression and is very powerful. Heck, it might even be the best dog in the club but once the judge says "Not enough aggression..." they don't understand because it is the best dog in the area and therefor should get the highest scores.

It's all about perspective...plus every judge judges differently. What is powerful and aggressive for one judge is lame for the other...

Same in tracking. One Judge wants to see the dog race through the track while the other one prefers a slower dog...

Last edited by Mrs.K; 05-02-2010 at 02:07 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Crowned Member

I have only been on front of a schutzhund judge twice, And neither time was I surprised by the comments. I was however surprised by my dogs during the routines!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
i have only been on front of a schutzhund judge twice, and neither time was i surprised by the comments. I was however surprised by my dogs during the routines!

lol.

Anne

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Most of the times, I agree, or am surprised at the score in a good way. the fact is the judge is there to do just that, JUDGE, they will also try to help you get better as they have alot of experience in the field and can see things you may not see or give you ways to improve on conditions you know exist.
I truly appreciate all critiques as this only helps me improve and get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page