Schutzhund... what I need - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
Schutzhund... what I need

Cullen is 4 months old and finally found a club I absolutely love, and started this week ( mainly drive/play, tracking, and homework lol) ... looking to advice on the best prices to pick up things needed....

Agitation collars
WIDE buckle collars ( they don't want us putting chokers on the pups, but the normal nylons are too thin... so need wide buckles that are small enough for a pup)
Tugs, pillows
Long leads ( have a 15, got advice to check tack stores, any other suggestions great)
Dumbells
anything else I will need before too long. They let me use any of their things that I don't have without a problem, but would like my own! They use Elitek9.com just curious if anyone else knows better prices? Worth a shot right?

~Kristi in Virginia Beach
Mommy to my 8 year old son... and

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Crowned Member

I use an agitation harness from Bridgeport equipment for the young pups, til they are ready for an agitation collar, easier on the neck and the barking is stronger. EliteK9 carries a nice nylon agitation collar for $20, I like it better than leather, and it is strong. Good buckle with 2 clasps.
I like the tugs from Hallmarkk9(french linen synthetic)
All of these sites have reasonably priced stuff, ask your club if they place orders regularly, discount applies sometimes to bulk club orders.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
Yes, the club told me if I want to order from Elite, to inform them, because better deal when you split shipping and such!!!!!!

you are full of help lol.. I didn't even know you did schutzhund and such... thanks!!!! I

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:09 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I get my Schutzhund stuff from Schweikert Schutzhund equipment, dog equipment, dog harness - dogsportgear.com

High quality, hand-crafted stuff at a reasonable price (they manufacture a lot of their own stuff). Excellent, personalized customer service. If you have any questions, phone or email, they will help you out.

For now, I wouldn't worry about a dumbell - that comes later. What you will want to start working on, is dowel work, to teach Cullen to hold something in his mouth calmly and securely, without chewing or mouthing. But even that can wait. Members of your club can show you how to go about it.

Here is an example of dowel work: puppy is holding the dowel calmly, but firmly enough that I can't pull the dowel out of his mouth.

You may also want to get a ball on a string or two.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

The ball on the string... that is one of the things they order from Elite that they love... can't find them locally.. only those genaric tug ropes with the knots and some huge ball attached...

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Crowned Member

These are the things I use on a daily basis:

prong collar (Herm Sprenger)
training tab (mine is actually the string that got tugged out of a Gappay ball and I tied a snap on the end, it's the perfect length for me)
tracking flags (get surveying flags for cheap from TSC or home improvement stores)
Muck boots for tracking (I strongly recommend GOOD boots!!)
line for tracking (right now I use a 15' but will eventually need the official length)
ASAT line that I use for obedience (a drag/check line) and protection
good quality leather buckle collar that is his regular collar and also used for agitation
Fursaver collar
two-handled tug (I have a French linen and hard rolled suede)
balls-on-string (I use Gappay but I'm sure the EliteK9 ones would be dog-approved, that is what the rest of my club uses)

My dog retrieves but I do not have my own dumbells. Our club has an official set and I have a small one I borrowed and also a dowel with a string that I borrowed. I originally trained the hold and bring behaviors with a piece of PVC (leg of my agility jump).

I think the wide buckle collar and agitation collar on your list can be the same thing. EliteK9 sells a 2" nylon that is cheaper than leather but is strong enough for protection work.

I would not get bite pillows, I'd just leave that to the club and helpers and do that type of work with the club. As long as you have whatever ball or tug your dog likes I don't think there's need for much else.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Crowned Member

don't go too small with the ball, dangerous if he gets it stuck, go medium and then large when he is 9 mos or so. Leerburg has some stuff, too, but a bit pricier.
I've not yet taught the dumbell and want to do it right with help, so I don't have to fix anything later. A pvc pipe wrapped in vetwrap is how our club teaches the young dogs to hold, then progress to the dumbbell when they are not chewing and holding calmly.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:47 PM

I have ordered everything from Schutzhund Equipment | Gappay | Frabo | Tri-Tronics | CPN K9 Nutrition They are very fast with shipping and always has it in stock.

I would get a wide collar
A tug with two handles
A couple large balls with the strings
and a harness if you are ready for protection with you pup.

I made my tracking lead from climbing line from REI, you can make it any length you need. 15ft should be good to start with.BlueWater 9/16" Climb-Spec Tubular Webbing at REI.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page