question about ScH finish - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

question about ScH finish

I don't know the name of the command but it happens right after the dog returns with the dumbell and sits in front of you until you take it...

then you take it and give the command (the one I am talking about) amd the dog does that little hop, kinda turns 180 degress a bit in the air and ends up sitting on your side. Hope you know what I mean.

How do you go about teaching that?

thx again in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Master Member

The command is "fuss," which means the same thing as "heel" in English. With the dog sitting in front of you, either doing the little jump and turn (I've heard it called a "flip" finish or an international finish) or going around back of you and sitting at your left side is acceptable.

With the dog sitting in front of you, take a piece of food in your left hand. When the dog sniffs it, make a big counterclockwise circle with your hand so the dog follows your hand. Keep your arm extended as you do this.

When the dog's front leg is even with your leg, bring your left hand up to your left hip. Most dogs will sit at this point. Click or say "good!" and give the treat.

The jump is not a requirement, but results when your dog learns the move and does it with enthusiasm. After he learns what "fuss" means, use a toy as motivation. He'll probably start doing it right away.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 AM

There are a variety of finishes.

A caution on the flip where the dog jumps or pivots- Be careful that you teach them to get themselves straight. Many dogs who flip have to readjust to get into basic position correctly. I think that why many left finishers are teaching the exercise by teaching the dog to pass the leg and turn and come back into position.

Here's a good breakdown. We used something very similar to this for Anka.
Flip Finish

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlatsky View Post
There are a variety of finishes.

A caution on the flip where the dog jumps or pivots- Be careful that you teach them to get themselves straight. Many dogs who flip have to readjust to get into basic position correctly. I think that why many left finishers are teaching the exercise by teaching the dog to pass the leg and turn and come back into position.

Here's a good breakdown. We used something very similar to this for Anka.
Flip Finish
Another advantage to doing it this way is that the dog's butt doesn't have as much of a tendency to stick out from a crooked sit. With the dog going around behind me, I've always had to be careful to reward for the correct position, i.e. butt in, sitting straight. That's a big point here...make sure that he winds up sitting straight when he sits.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

Nikon does both (has to for rally, same with the about turns...so in a trial that only requires one I pick whatever one looks better that day). I taught them by luring with food. For the flip/left finish I held his collar at the same time. I've also been doing a lot of perch work, doodling, and "find the leg" stuff at the same time which teaches general rear end awareness and makes the flip finish correct.

I haven't taught any of my dogs to jump with the flip finish, but after they learn the skill and we start adding more motivation and drive, they all started the jump on their own.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Our dogs also do both for the same reason (Rally), but for SchH trials we stick with the around the back finish as it is the one they are most proficient in, but mainly because it is the one that has the correct command associated with it. In a SchH trial you can lose points for having a different command for heeling and the finish. They should be the same command, since the finish is technically just telling the dog to go to heel position. So even if the dog is taught both, make sure the command for one is the same as your heel command, and that is the one you use at a SchH trial. A dog also cannot do 2 different finishes during a routine (say a flip on the recall but around the back on the retrieves). The same finish must be used throughout. And remember no hand signals allowed in a SchH trial either, so you must have a command word that clearly tells the dog which finish to do and is consistently used throughout the routine, also for all heel commands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

gr8t thx , this helps a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page