SchH Corgis? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

SchH Corgis?

I was wondering if a Cardigan corgi could do SchH, not based on their breed, but if they can jump high enough or have the temperament to do it? I'm pretty sure they can jump high enough, since it's the short dogs that seem to be able to jump the highest.... LOL

I think it would be fun to do SchH with a corgi.

I went ahead and highlighted my main question/concern.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

You could do a BH and tracking titles if he is good I'm sure. But I have a hard time believing a Corgi could jump that high to pass obedience.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:19 PM

You have to remember that not only do they have to clear the 1 meter jump, they have to do it holding a SchH 1 dumbbell in their mouth. Unlike in AKC where the dumbbells are based on size of the dog, the SchH dumbbell is standard sized. I believe that was all that held back Claudia Romard's Jack Russell from getting his SchH title and I would think that a Corgi with their short little legs would have an even harder time.

I know of a small Cattle Dog that does the jump, but he still tends to sort of pull himself over the jump.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Temperament wise, many of them could certainly do it.

The difficulty would be as others have mentioned in the obedience. The jumps and dumbbells are all the same size, they are not adjusted to the size of the dog as in other venues. I have a hard time imagining a Corgi being capable of retrieving the SchH1 dumbbell over a meter high hurdle. The a-frame could get difficult too, but probably possible. If it could pull off the flat retrieve and retrieve over the a-frame with the dumbbells, if all the rest of the obedience was good enough it would still be possible to get a passing score in obedience even if it couldn't do the retrieve over the jump.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Crowned Member

You know I don't know why they couldn't consider lowering the jumps for smaller breeds in schutzhund to allow smaller breeds to compete in the obedience phase especially if people are just doing it for fun...don't think it would be the end of the world...
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Crowned Member

Because Schutzhund was not meant to be for other breeds other than GSDs? There are plenty of AKC titles you can trial for with other smaller breeds.

Carolina Johnson

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Crowned Member

there is a video of a corgi doing some SchH, I can't remember the dogs name though

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDBESTK9 View Post
Because Schutzhund was not meant to be for other breeds other than GSDs? There are plenty of AKC titles you can trial for with other smaller breeds.
Yep. Schutzhund is the ultimate dog test, its really cute and fun to watch a small dog doing it but would you want your life in the hands of a jack russel?
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Elite Member

We have a rescue Cardigan that is certainly drivey enough for SchH but doesn't have the best nerves, so I'm not sure how he'd pan out for SchH. He is not IME the norm for the breed as far as drive goes. On the whole, both Corgi breeds are bred pretty much for show or pets these days and the majority are very soft and/or very laid back, lower drive dogs. There appear to be no "working lines" of Corgis, even the ones people do herding or agility with are show bred or from pet breeders.

Structure is another issue as both Corgi breeds but the Cardi even more so have been selected for exaggerated physical characteristics (extra long bodies, extra short legs, very deep chests) which would make clearing such a high jump extremely difficult and potentially dangerous. I have been told by show Cardi people that young Cardi's shouldn't even be allowed to go up and down steps or jump on and off furniture until they are well over a year old.

So I'd say, that while there probably are some Corgis out there that could be trained for SchH they would be few and far between. I doubt you could find a breeder that is consistently producing drivey, sound Corgis which also have a more historically correct (working) structure. If you do find such a breeder though, of either Corgi breed PM me
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 03:47 AM
Banned

I think a corgi could get enough points to pass. The dog could go over the jump on the go out and then go around on his way back with the dumbbell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page