tracking woes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

tracking woes

I'm having so much trouble with Cues, I know it's the trainer (me). I stopped tracking for sometime, but that didn't help. First, I can not get her to settle down. I've been laying a sent pad with food, and placing food in each footstep to try to slow her down. The second I bring her to the sent pad, it's time to go! I even have trouble getting to to down at the sent pad. She usually hits each foot step for the first few feet, then it's off to the races. Her nose is plastered to the ground, and she does follow the track, but the food is not slowing her down. She loses interest in the food, and just wants to follow the track. She doesn't even want to stop for the big reward at the end of the track. She just wants to keep tracking. I guess she overly motivated just to track! It takes me 15 minutes to lay track that she blows through in 5 seconds. I try holding her up, but I'm afraid of messing her up. Any ideas?

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Crowned Member

With my dog, I found that using less food and using more natural steps (farther apart, the long way not side to side) slowed him to a more appropriate rhythm. We also have a routine of doing a platz for a minute or so before the tail (not on the scent pad) until the dog is settled. He still skips food on the track but checks side to side and has slowed down considerably. At the end he gets praise, I pet him up, and toss his ball (no obedience required, just fun and praise). Today he came to the end, ate a few piece off the food pile and then looked up at me like "OK I want to play now!" and left the rest.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Crowned Member

I was given the advice to lay 3 short tracks each with a scent pad and food every footstep. The first one is to get the excitement out. The 2nd one to have the dog figure, it isn't over and the 3rd one will have them more focused and doing it slower longer track. It has worked for me,and I will go back to this now that we can track again(haven't tracked all winter)
Is your pup starving when you are tracking? Maybe give a small meal if that is the case, some pups are just too hectic when they are so hungry/food motivated.
I agree with Lies, try to calm the dog a bit beforehand.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 03-21-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Is your pup starving when you are tracking?
I think this is the right direction to go with this. If a wolf is tracking a deer and loses the track what does the wolf eat?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Along the lines of what Lies said, you could make the track more difficult so that she has to work harder to follow it. Less noticable footsteps, you could start adding corners and serpentines. You could also try adding articles to the track to slow her down as well. I have also done tracking on my prong. You don't pop, you just let them lean into it and that can slow them down sometimes too.

I also think that multiple tracks could be helpful to settle the dog down. I agree some dogs that are too crazy for their food get hectic and are better off eating before hand...but your dog isn't even pausing to get the bait? Hmm.

Speed isn't *necessarily* bad, if the tracking is correct. The concern is if they are rushing and not really paying attention and they overshoot a corner or walk an article.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks guys. It went a LITTLE better today. I used a higher value food(last nights left-over steak) and placed it randomly in footsteps. I had her down for several minutes prior to starting. Plus I did it later in the afternoon, after she had time to burn some steam off. I think I'll wait to put her tracking harness on until right at the start. I have been laying track in a big field next to the house, and then coming back for her with her harness already on. She knows what we are going to do, and the second she is out of the house, her nose is plastered to the ground. She follows my footsteps right out to the field, and she just wants to keep going. I'm going to play a little fetch before hand as well to chill her out a bit more (if that's possible!). I'll see how it goes.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Knighted Member

A few weeks ago I had a thread going about my puppy's hecticness of the track. Got a lot of great advices from experienced folks about aging the track, line handling, getting the dog in the right frame of mind for tracking, etc.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...out-ike-4.html
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason L View Post
A few weeks ago I had a thread going about my puppy's hecticness of the track. Got a lot of great advices from experienced folks about aging the track, line handling, getting the dog in the right frame of mind for tracking, etc.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...out-ike-4.html
Thanks for the link. There was a lot of good ideas there. My biggest fear is that I obviously have a dog with high tracking drive, and I don't want to mess her up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page