Leerburg training dvds - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Question Leerburg training dvds

Hello is any one familure with the Leerburg training. I found some dvds on ebay and was wondering if they were worth the money. Also one the site I was reading that a personal protecton dog requires differant training than a SchH dog. I'm confused I thought a SchH was a form of personal protectin. What do I need to know what is so differant?

~Christen
REBEL~PIT BULL
BATISTA~SHAR PEI
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:18 AM

We have a number of them, and they are interesting. Just like any training book, DVD, method, I think it's important to not take everything as gospel but to look at it critically and choose what make sense and works for you. Much of the information can be gotten from the website and the training articles, but the DVDs really outlines everything pretty clearly. In some of them I think he spends WAY too much time on stuff like collars, but if you don't know anything I think maybe it could be beneficial?

I also really like to play "Spot the typo". Some of these definitely have a home movie feel. Especially when you compare with the more technical Ivan videos.

Anyway, if you can get a good deal on them from Ebay or borrow them from a friend that's the way to go. I don't think I'd pay full price.

As far as SchH dog compared to a PPD...well, no. Not really the same at all. SchH is a sport. Which means that while some of the skills are the same, the mentality isn't necessarily the same. There are dogs that can be both, but there are also PPD that couldn't be SchH dogs, and SchH dogs that couldn't be PPDs. I often hear it comapred to Martial Arts, just because you have a black belt doesn't mean you're a street fighter.

It's important to understand that there is a range in both venues. SchH has 3 phases and a good dog must succeed in all. Tracking, Obedience, and Protection. You will often hear about SchH dogs that care more about the sleeve than the man. These dogs can still get high scores and be successful, but there's a good chance that they won't bite someone for real. Some schutzhund dogs are not very tough and function mostly within the routine. You can also have good tough dogs that compete as well though. I have 3 adult SchH dogs in my home and not one will bite on command, which is better for my lifestyle because we go lots of places with the dogs and there are usually lots of strange people that touch and handle them. My 2 males do not have a lot of natural suspicion. They are very stable and have courage and I think they would step up if I needed them, but they are not on alert for trouble. My bitch is better. If she sees something suspicious she will sound off, but she's smaller and not as visually intimidating.

PPDs to serve in their function need to be willing to engage and bite for real. There is also a range here. Many good PPDs are more similar to a Police Dog. A PPD is not a responsibility to be taken lightly. They can be a major liability if not trained correctly. Some very good PPDs start out as SchH dogs. The training is take from a visible sleeve to an undercover and then usually to muzzle work. However, the way the dog bites is not important and usually they want a PPD dog to go for the weapon hand (which would be the stick in SchH) Because what you're looking for in a PPD usually involves a higher degree of suspicion, and people who want these kind of dogs usually want to see some kind of ferocious display, there are many PPDs sold who are nervy and a little fearful. They go off without much provocation at all. And often a dog who is not naturally suspicious has to have a lot of training (not always pretty) to get more suspicion.

A really great dog can do both. But a PPD is a dog you keep with you to guard your person, that is their purpose, not to be the family pet. Personally, unless you have a real reason to believe that you would be threatened I would not get or train a PPD.

My 4 SchH dogs do just fine for home security, because like you, most people do not know that there is a difference. Heck, reputation alone and a dog that barks is good enough for the majority of people.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ty that really clears things up I had no idea it was that diff. And also I have no idea if my pup will be able to do eather yet. He's only 2 weeks old but I am wanting to learn all I can
I'm also hopeing it has the german comands that's the main thing I wanna learn if he cant do the other 2 eather the PPD or the SchH.

~Christen
REBEL~PIT BULL
BATISTA~SHAR PEI
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Crowned Member

I have two of them. Are not bad... but no good either. Too much time wasting on promoting himself and his products. I like to have them because I didn't pay for them, but now I've seen some of it I'd not buy a DVD.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1

Last edited by Catu; 03-12-2010 at 11:59 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Training in German is traditional, but you can train in English. It doesn't make any difference in terms of competeing since it's just words. Heck you could use Klingon.

I use German for formal commands and english for commands around the house. They mean different things for my dogs. For example, Foos for formal attention heeling, and walk for loose leash walk next to me. Hier for a formal recall with a front sit, and Come for get over here.

Here's some websites with some common German commands.
Hundekommandos - Dog Commands in German
Dr. P's Dog Training: Commands in Several Languages

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

All my current dogs know english comands I was jus wanting to do the german with the GSD because even if he's not able to do the trainig other people won't know that because he knows german and they will ASSUME he does even if he don't I also don't want strangers trying to give my baby comands. Tho ill prob have to teach some english for my DH lol men.

~Christen
REBEL~PIT BULL
BATISTA~SHAR PEI
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 PM

If it's the same one I saw, be careful of the one teaching the dog to hold something. It involves table training, with the dog crying, being corrected and shaking throughout the entire endeavor. I was amazed this was even put out there.

Jago - Bi-Color GSD 5/14/2009
Cyrus - Rottweiler 8/22/2006
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 PM

I've seen some old videos of seminars with top German trainers decades ago, and they were pretty brutal. I remember seeing a dog go after it's handler in one frame, and the next "scene" in the video was a big oak tree and some men throwing a long line over a limb. A guy that tackled his dog and pinned it when it disobeyed the hier command and went to the blind. And you want to talk about a forced retrieve? They had that on there too as well as introducing the American trainers to some early versions of E-collars, these giant yellow boxes that probably had a couple settings. I couldn't believe that they actually video taped it and sold it.

The reality though is that dog training used to be pretty brutal. Consider the Koehler method. I also think you were dealing with a different type of dog. We've really changed the animals in 30 years. Dogs now can be worked without all the force, so there's not usually a place/need for it. But at the same time, the clicker and motivational training is really just now starting to gain wider acceptance among SchH trainers, especially at higher levels. It's foolish to think the majority of these high level trainers achieve their success with only food and a great relationship with the dog. Many of them are pretty brutal with their own dogs still. But I'm glad that better/more effective ways are coming in.

I think it's important to consider the date of production on any video. Leerburg has evolved. They now promote a lot of Michael Ellis and his method, prior to that it was Bernhard Flinks. I was speaking more in reference to their raising a working puppy videos, drive and focus, and basic videos. Nothing too brutal there from what I remember.

Still wouldn't pay full price.

Last edited by JKlatsky; 03-12-2010 at 12:38 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:39 PM

JKlatsky, sorry I should have clarified on the dates. The videos I ordered from them were from around 2002-2003. I applaud them if they have evolved, that scene put a bad taste in my mouth.

Jago - Bi-Color GSD 5/14/2009
Cyrus - Rottweiler 8/22/2006
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:59 PM

I hear you. I have found that the retrieve is often taught pretty brutally. Usually with a high drive dog a motivational retrieve is obtainable, although there are certainly some dogs that need to learn that they must perform the command. I think too many people hear that the retrieve must be forced and that force is the only way to get a reliable retrieve. Retrievers and various bird dogs used to go through the same training also. I'm not necessarily against a certain amount of compulsion to help make the goal clear and not optional, but I don't think you need to brutalize the dog to get there.

That's why I said with these videos, like many others, you cannot just do what is in the video and assume it is correct and necessary. It needs to make sense to you and be appropriate for your dog. I think that bears repeating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page