Cats around a Schutzhund dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Cats around a Schutzhund dog?

My two cats love dogs so I just want to make sure the dog I bring home will love them back!

Am I courting disaster if I bring home a dog that shows the kind of high drive desirable in a Schutzhund prospect? Do any of you have cats or other small non-canine furry animals that live harmoniously with your Schutzhund GSD?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 05:50 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Yup!!! Three cats here! No issues!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Crowned Member

I have two cats, the dogs are fine with them. But my cats aren't the type to wander the house, they stay upstairs mostly. I would love to have a kitty that acted more social.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Crowned Member

No cats, but I have two hens who are perfectly fine and alive. Drives are one thing, boundaries are other. Diabla was not raised with other animals, was even encouraged to chase cats away, but had no problem respecting my roommate cat in the past. The day the hens arrived she chased them, then I said No! once and it was the end of the story. Now she has perfectly clear that the hens are part of the pack and no feathered tug toys.

There are some birds of prey around (too small to take away an almost adult hen, but chickens are... chicken) and the girls only venture far from their house if Diabla is around in the yard.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1

Last edited by Catu; 03-09-2010 at 06:24 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

I have 4 cats.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 PM

correct me if I am wrong but i would be worried more about a dog that is not schutzhund. By obtaining these credentials it is saying that your dog is well disciplined and smart along with having high drive. Also from the very little I have been around shutzhund dogs the aggression did not start till they saw the sleeve. I can't speak from experience because I don't have a shutzhund (yet fingers crossed) and I will never ever own a cat (greatly dislike).
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Master Member

I am doing shutzhund with my dogs, they are crazy for our cat but they no better and listen well when I tell them to leave ms Luna alone..it does take some training but even a dog with a high prey drive can learn to respect some boundries.

Marie

Quest Vom Spartanville (DOB 1/31/09) SCH2 IPO2 (Regionals 2012) BH TR1 CGC GSD
Leon v.h. Basjes Huis (3/26/12) GSD
Rosa Aritar Bastet (7/4/12) GSD
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Crowned Member

I have three cats and do not let them mix with my SchH dog but it was a problem before he ever started SchH. Right now all the cats are living in the basement b/c I'm dealing with one who was marking, but otherwise there is a cat door so they have free reign at night but stay in the basement when the dogs are out. Sometimes if it's nice I put a litter box out on the porch and shut them out there for a while. They are all OK with my other two dogs but these dogs have never shown any interest in them. I don't think it has anything to do with SchH, it's just the way my third dog is. It would be the same living arrangement if we quit SchH tomorrow and like I said, he was fixating on cats long before we got serious about SchH.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Crowned Member

I have a 17.5 yo cat who has lived with all kinds of dogs. Currently I have a mal x gsd who is very high drive and he is an absolute angel with my cat. She sleeps with him, grooms him, etc.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:31 AM
Crowned Member

It makes absolutely no difference if the dog is a high drive dog or not; what matters is if the dog is cat safe or not. Drive level and being cat safe are not related; a low drive, couch potato dog can just as well be non-cat safe. This is an individual dog thing and not a drive thing.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page