Burst my bubble - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Burst my bubble

I have been so looking forward to schutzhund with my dog. Today I met with a trainer who informed me that it would cost over $7,000. per year and take at least 2 years to title. Also I would have to be willing to get up at 3 or 4 a.m. to go to tracking training.
He said he doesn't think it's a good method for reality, and that he prefers realistic protection training. He said Sch doesn't prepare a dog for the real life encounter that may actually occur.
He has a GSD and a Mal who both have multiple titles. His Mal is the only civilian canine to earn a police title in NYC.
So. . . he said he can assess Jiva and do sch if I'm determined, but that he highly recommends other types of training.
I met his mal. He is quite obviously a highly trained and high drive dog. In fact I noticed his dog's training and approached him randomly, only to discover that he is the person that I have been referred to by many people.
I'm a novice. What do you think about his comments?
I had no idea that it was that expensive a process. I knew it would require a lot of time and dedication. But since I'm not breeding, spending $20,000-$30,000 to title my dog in this sport suddenly seems insane.
Are you all really paying that? Is it worthwhile?

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Are you all really paying that?
**** no.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:12 AM

I would contact a SchH club in your area. The United Schuted Schutzhund club of America's web site is: www.germanshepherddog.com

If you surf through there you will find a listing of clubs and people to contact including a regional director that can put you in touch with people that actually do SchH and enjoy it as opposed to someone that doesn't think it's worth much

Al Govednik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Knighted Member

My club due is $20.00 a month.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I knew it would require a lot of time and dedication. But since I'm not breeding, spending $20,000-$30,000 to title my dog in this sport suddenly seems insane.
Are you all really paying that? Is it worthwhile?
WOW!! And even if you were breeding.. I can't see spending that amount of money..

Love Anne's response!!!

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

No. Our dues is $300 per year, we do NOT get up a 3 AM to track (I do get up a 6 in the summer). Trials are usually $50 entry plus your hotel and food (if you travel).

As Al (Bullet) said, find a GOOD club to train with.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 AM

No way. We spend probably $250 a month in training fees....For FOUR dogs.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks. He did say a club is less expensive but that there's none in the city so it would require a lot of very early a.m.s and a lot of driving.
Most people don't keep cars here so he may have assumed that I don't have one. I just realized that. He may figure I have no means to travel with a dog to a club.

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I searched the link, and it seems the closest club is about a 2 hour drive.
I'll look into the club cost and get more information during the week.

Do you travel 4-5 hours a day roundtrip to do the sport?

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

When I go to a club it is 2-3 hours one way, yes. That would the greatest cost involved for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page