Do it yourself schutzhund... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Do it yourself schutzhund...

I took the 9 month old puppy out today for my son to work. It has been years since I attempted to do this stuff with a dog. He had one other session as a younger pup on just the tug.

The pup barked aggressively and he bit well on the puppy sleeve. Okay, so I think he can do this a bit.

What next? He is 9 months old. I remember Cliff and others talking about the approach of not working a youngster too much until they have maturity for balanced work. Now that I see he is gung ho, do I wait before beginning what has been in the past a rather disappointing search for helper work?

What is to be gained at this age? or lost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Crowned Member

I have no advice Samba but would be interested in what other's have to say.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:26 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Think the next step will be to find a good club so you make sure to continue on the right path with this. I know other club members will also be a huge help to also work on the other 2/3 of the sport, the obedience and tracking.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Now that I see he is gung ho, do I wait before beginning what has been in the past a rather disappointing search for helper work?

Why wait to look? Just don't take the dog with you until you think you have found the right place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well, I guess I was just wondering if 9 months old was a good time to get him whacked off the puppy sleeve or to have a refrigerator stand and make a sleeve presentation!!!

I think, like some kind of parent, I want to keep him home from school one more year!! The search is not so much fun!

I need to find a training helper who consistently trains dogs to scores in the 90s. Perhaps it will happen.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
I need to find a training helper who consistently trains dogs to scores in the 90s. Perhaps it will happen
No you don't. I can only recall a very short period of time where I have worked with an "experienced helper" and less time where I got along with them or felt my dog was getting the best training. That's the truth.

Anne

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I believe you, really. The youngster needs to understand his power and clear victory. I think that has been one of the hardest scenarios to find.

I guess I want a situation where I don't have to work so hard! But that really isn't a good idea based on previous discussions on the board regarding the handlers involvement in the protection training.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

And I am not sure a 9 month old needs to see much anyhow. Find someone you can work with and meanwhile your boy can grow up a bit more.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I was thinking he was still young enough to stay home! lol

I've been watching people work puppies on tug work, chase the tug, learn they are competing with helper for tug, grip work on the tug. Ugh! I have not done much of this. Hope I am not behind on this. Can I say watching Ivan B. makes me tired??

I am feeling lazy but the weather is atrocious (ok to me anyway) and there is no indoor space nearby. Is there a great deal gained in puppy foundation work that can't be made up in the young dog?
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:55 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

I am feeling lazy but the weather is atrocious (ok to me anyway) and there is no indoor space nearby. Is there a great deal gained in puppy foundation work that can't be made up in the young dog?
I've found that there's a TON of foundation work that can be done with puppies that is a huge help when you later begin the 'real' training. If you find a great club who works with puppies and can help you provide the foundation skills (for both pup and handler) I know I've seen amazing results from the adult dogs.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page