W German show lines - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

W German show lines

Hi, I was wondering what the concensus was on W German show line dogs competeing in Sch?
I'm interested in getting involved in the sport, and many people have suggested that I look for a dog from working lines instead.
The shepherds I've had in the past have always been of the black/red "showline" variety, and I would prefer to stay with that type of dog. The pups I'm considering come from generations of SchIII & II dogs and bitches, so I'm wondering why they wouldn't be suitable for the sport?
I'm new and would be very interested in what you folks have to say on the matter.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:22 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I say find a breeder with the dogs you like, that do Schutzhund, and they'll do what you want/need!

For all of us, it's all about finding 'the' breeder who's breeding for the type of dog you want. If you want a red/black W German showline dog to work with, than go for those breeders with top Schutzund dogs....

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Crowned Member

Along the same thought of MaggieRoseLee, any line you decide on, the breeder working their own dogs in the sport/getting titles says sooo much.
If you purchase from a breeder whose dogs/bitches have titles but they do not participate in the sport, then the chances are good that they've just purchased the dog already titled.
I'd much rather go with the breeder that is active in the sport.
Maybe go out to clubs and watch dogs work, if you see something you like check out the breeder of the dog.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
If you want a red/black W German showline dog to work with, than go for those breeders with top Schutzund dogs....

Thank you both for the feedback.
Do any reputable breeders of red/black Sch dogs come to mind?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

There is one that is local to me, www.24kgsd.com Alta-Tollhaus. If you go to the site and click on the long dangerous tails tab, there should be some video and pics of the progeny. Beautiful black & reds. Also there is a link on the site to the working dog club, where there are videos loaded.
I have seen some of the pups working in SchH and they do have what it takes. Working on titles still, as they are all young.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-12-2010 at 07:16 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Knighted Member

My late GSD Blue was a LH showline - I started him in SchH when he was 6 years old, and he did very well. His tracking, and especially his OB were excellent, and while he didn't have quite the intensity in the bitework that many of the working line dogs have, he did everything asked of him and then some. I don't recommend waiting this long to begin LOL, but we didn't adopt him until he was 3-1/2, and it took me a while to "discover" the sport. I agree with the suggestion that you look carefully at the breeder - Blue's breeder was the late Susan Barwig, who was one of the pioneers in introducing SchH to the USA back in the 70's. While she bred show and working lines, her show dogs could also work, a reflection of her background (she had competed at the International level) and primary interest. Good luck to you!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 - waiting at the Bridge
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Banned

i have a West German show dog (blk&red).
he's from a long line of Schutzhund trained dogs.
my dog is our pet/companion.

there's a lot of titles in his linage. i think you
can do well in Schutzhund with a show dog.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Crowned Member

You have to just be realistic. Yes these dogs are titled but having the title does not mean the dog was trained correctly or really has top drives and work ethic for the sport. If you want a showline, you should get a showline and do SchH, but you will have to be more picky than just looking at the titles on the pedigrees if you want the dog to work well. Talk to the person who actually put the titles on the dog, watch the sire/dam train and work, talk to good trainers/TDs and get their opinion.

It also depends on your goals. If you intend to be competitive in the sport, looking at good working lines will stack the deck in your favor. If you want to do SchH more recreationally, a good show line should suffice.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Elite Member

I purchased my Blk/Red Showline shepherd from Heidi Theis of Theishof Shepherds. She does Schutzhund with her males and her females and is in the process of titling a female now. Talk to her and explain what you are looking for and she will work with you to help you get the dog that you want. Good luck !

~ Kathy ~

Kai vom Theishof ~ GSD
Maggie ~ Pug
Natasha ~ Queen Kitty
Midnight ~ Boss Kitty
Lennie ~ "Special" Kitty
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman View Post
.....wondering what the concensus was on W German show line dogs competeing in Sch?
I think folks here have provided very accurate advice and insight....but for me the key is your word, "competeing" in SchH.

I train a Black & Red WGSL in SchH & SDA....I never expect to "compete" with her, but that isn't important to me in our relationship. we simply want to be on the field working. Titles accomplished are a measure of progress. Our bond is something I am very proud of, and the training facilitates that.

At the same time, I have come to enjoy the training so much, I would like to take it to the next level. I am still not sure I want to "compete", but I would like to take what I have learned and push further....to do that, I feel I need a second dog, and it will be a working line.

For me, this works-out just fine, as I have wanted two GSDs for the past 14 years, and eventually, I will get a Wildhaus working line pup.

So, if by "compete" in SchH you mean train and enjoy, then everything said on this thread is spot-on, however, if by "compete" you mean high scores competitive regionally or even nationally, then you may want to look more at working line dogs.

Goodluck, God bless with whatever you decide....as long as it is a GSD, then it is not just a dog.

Wayne

BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page